Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Trying to replace main steam vent...

Options
genericnj
genericnj Member Posts: 74
edited November 2016 in Strictly Steam
... the main steam vent on my 86 year old system is not closing and I continually have to add water every two days. I purchased a Gorton #2 and a #1 to replace the old vent with one of these (#2 preferrably if it fits in the space). I have a 14in pipe wrench which I tried to use to loosen the existing air vent, but could not get it to budge...

Reading forums and posts, people seem to recommend PB Blaster, which I plan to pick up tomorrow, however I am looking for other recommendations on how to get the old vent off ...

It looks to be 3/4 in vent connected into a larger hole in the pipe via a bushing. I thought of also getting a 2-ft piece of pipe to put over the pipe wrench for some extra leverage.

Any other recommendations? Many thanks!!

Comments

• JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,231
    Options
    Do the pipe/leverage thing and show it who's boss.
    You'll get it off.
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • hboogz
    hboogz Member Posts: 113
    edited November 2016
    Options
    If you're comfortable with a torch, I've seen first hand torching the plug ( vent in your case) for a few could get it easier to turn.
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    The wrench and the pipe extension will get it done.
  • genericnj
    Options
    Thanks folks - I got a 2" x 24" pipe on my way home from work--hopefully that will be long enough. I did not want to get one too long since this is in a tight spot at the corner with tight access. Also picked up a cheap $15 propane torch kit too, going to give it a try later tonight!
  • genericnj
    Options
    Sadly the vent has shown me it is the boss... I tried the pipe-leverage method, but have failed... Have not tried heating the pipe yet to see if that will help... but that will be tonight's try
  • cms829
    cms829 Member Posts: 29
    Options
    I had the same problem recently with an old Dole vent. I wound up shearing the thing off with the pipe wrench and cheater. Finally took to cutting it down flush and then carefully cutting the threads out in pieces. Wasn't fun, but got it out.
  • genericnj
    Options
    not fun ... so here is an idea i had ... please tell me if this is a bad idea ... the vent is installed into a bushing, which then goes into the pipe. Looks like 3/4 to 1 1/2 bushing. I am thinking of putting two pipe wrenches, one on the bushing, one on the vent so that squeezing the two wrenches will result in the vent loosening and then putting a clamp over the two wrenches to gradually squeeze them together..

Another thought is to try to get the bushing out, thus getting the vent out along with it, but the bushing doesnt seem to want to budge either... :(
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Options
    The vent will be easier to remove than the bushing.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    The vent is probably brass whereas the bushing is steel/iron. The brass may twist off but is easy to saw out.
    Put the heat to the bushing and then try it.
  • genericnj
    Options
    Woohoo got it off! applied some heat on the bushing as advised and slowly but surely it let loose! Thanks everyone for great suggestions and encouragement!