Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Why does a flow control rattle?

Options
bruce_21
bruce_21 Member Posts: 241
My client has a flow control on his hot water and cast iron baseboard heating system that rattles whenever the pump is running. Is there anything that can be done? The manual nob on the top (pointy arrow) won't turn either.

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Options
    Usually air. But if you can't spray some lubricant in there and loosen it up, either you'll have to take it apart or replace it .

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Gilmorrie
    Gilmorrie Member Posts: 185
    Options
    Based on what you say, I would replace the flo-control valve.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,552
    Options
    What size is the flow control and what circ. pump do you have?

How many zones and do the zones have pumps or zone valves?? Any domestic hot water off the boiler??
    At lot of jobs have flow controls that don't need them just trying to find out
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,786
    Options
    When you start getting in to large size flow valves 1 1/2" and larger one should start to down size an size valve or increase circulator flow volume ...

What you have is not enough force to peg the weight in flow valve ..

• bruce_21
    bruce_21 Member Posts: 241
    Options
    The flow control is 1 1/4" or 1 1/2", one zone, 007 pump mounted on the return, domestic coil in the boiler, all radiation is on floor above boiler in basement
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,786
    Options
    I have in the past , opened up the flow valve , removed the weight and installed an globe valve washer on the stem , then reinstalled the weight .... When did the problem start ? is always a good question to find an problem

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,188
    Options
    What type of flow control? Generally they are on the supply to eliminate temperature induced ghost flow. Here is some good info.
    http://documentlibrary.xylemappliedwater.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/22/files/2012/08/V51842E.pdf
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    Options
    In a pinch I've wrapped some solder above the weight to keep it steadier. At least I'd like to think so :)
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Options
    Remove the weight, and add a Swetcheck inline on the supply. These weights don't just lift, they also are spinning as water flows thru the valve, and wear the stem. It's either replace it, or remove the weight and add another