Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Insulating the mains (with pics)

adamfre
adamfre Member Posts: 122
We are slowly getting there! Insulation is going on now, and as I put this stuff on I'm wondering, which addition to your system helps your system out the most, main vents, or insulation? I'm doing both so I should be good to go, however, if an individual could only afford to do one, which one would he want to focus on first? Insulation, or vents?

Getting started....

4 hours later....

Just want to stay warm in the winter. :D
BrianT1077

Comments

• You're looking real good there Adam.

It's a great question. I find both help enormously but I've never been involved in a situation where they could be evaluated separately. Either they have insulation and I add vents, or they have neither, and I add both, or they have neither and I add either vents or insulation.
    New England SteamWorks
    Service, Installation, & Restoration of Steam Heating Systems
    newenglandsteamworks.com
    SWEI
  • hboogz
    hboogz Member Posts: 113
    Curious, in cases where boilers are oversized and let's say you have a finished basement that is occasionally occupied, is it still vital to insulate mains?

Harry
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,489
    If you need the heat in that space, leave the insulation off the runs that will heat that space. You should insulate the boiler header in any case.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • hboogz
    hboogz Member Posts: 113
    Thanks for the reply Bob. Adam, your job is coming out great man! I'm no pro but am fascinated with steam system.After having read the lost art of steam in addition to adding much needed venting on the mains in my house that was deficient/non-existing, venting is extremely important to one-pipe steam systems.

The right vents at the radiators. The right amount of venting on your mains ( still trying to figure my sweet spot) can severely affect a one-pipe steam system. In my opinion.