Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steel compression tank on baseboard loop off steam boiler

Options
This is something I haven't seen before. Whoever installed this basement baseboard loop is utilizing what looks to be a plain steel compression tank. The tank is teed into the loop. It's second connection is coming from the steam equalizer. Never mind the poor steam piping on this job. That's another issue I'm addressing with the customer. Any comments would surely be appreciated. Thank you.

Comments

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,074
    Options
    Is there a picture with this??
  • JUGHNE
    Options
    Hello.....pictures.....I think I have seen what you are describing.
  • plumber6120
    plumber6120 Member Posts: 9
    Options
    Here are some pictures of this tank.
  • JUGHNE
    Options
    My best guess is this has 2 functions. They may have put the tank there as a condensate receiver/accumulator.
    There may be slow condensate return and to make more water available because of the smaller steam chest of a new boiler this tank was added. I think of it as more boiler water but without burners under that water in the tank. The water level in the tank would match the level in the boiler. The equalizer connection provides the steam pressure above the tank and the lower connection will move the water up and down to match the boiler level. IMO

For the second function/guess, that was an easy place to connect the BB loop without removing a boiler plug, or deal with threaded piping.
    That tank water would probably be cooler than the boiler water and might not supply the heat for the BB as expected.

The tank is probably not rated for steam containment.

The set up I came across had no equalizer connection and was doing no good for the system. It was removed and the condensate return problems were corrected for the system. (There was no BB loop involved) There was no issue with slow return for that particular boiler once the system problems were corrected.

Again, just a guess, FWIW.