Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.

If you've found help here, check back in to let us know how everything worked out.
It's a great way to thank those who helped you.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.

To Insulate Or Not

cheezhdcheezhd Posts: 7Member
edited November 2016 in Strictly Steam
I recently purchased an early 1900s house with my first steam heat system (1-pipe). I have been getting ready to insulate the uninsulated mains with 1 inch fiberglas, but I recently noticed that the boiler appears significantly oversized. The boiler is 128,000 BTU, but my EDR calculation suggests I need only 56,504 BTU. I'm now worried that insulating could lead to significant short cycling. The main is about 80ft of 2 inch iron, and it has a single Gorton #2 main vent (I believe that's all there is currently room for as the vent only has a 1/4 inch tapping). Is the risk of bad short cycling a serious concern that weighs against insulating or shall I go ahead and insulate?

Any advice is most appreciated!

Comments

• ChrisJChrisJ Posts: 9,809Member
    Are the steam pipes heating an area you use, or, are they directly under an area you want a warm floor in?

If they are, I'd leave them exposed.

If they're in a drafty cold area where you're going to lose a ton of energy I'd probably insulate them.

What boiler do you have?
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • JUGHNEJUGHNE Posts: 5,713Member
    It is not that difficult to drill and tap for more venting on the end of the main.
    You could also investigate the feasibility of having a 2 stage gas valve installed on your boiler. It would drop down to perhaps 60% of your existing valve. Would take some set up and different control system components.
  • BobCBobC Posts: 4,965Member
    If you can seal up the area the pipes are in and there is living space above I would leave the mains bare but I would insulate the boiler header.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • cheezhdcheezhd Posts: 7Member
    Thanks. The boiler is a Smith GSX 206, and it's in an unfinished basement that does get chilly. The pipes are hung a few feet from the ceiling, so I don't think they're doing all that much to heat the floor above.
  • BobCBobC Posts: 4,965Member
    My cellar gets into the low 50's now that my piping is insulated. Before the insulation it was about 7 degrees warmer but I don't spend as much time in the cellar these days so I decided to insulate the pipes a few years ago.

make sure you aren't going to put your water pipes at risk of freezing if that cellar gets too cold.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • ChrisJChrisJ Posts: 9,809Member
    cheezhd said:

Thanks. The boiler is a Smith GSX 206, and it's in an unfinished basement that does get chilly. The pipes are hung a few feet from the ceiling, so I don't think they're doing all that much to heat the floor above.

You'd be amazed.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • FredFred Posts: 7,874Member
    You can replace that Gorton #2 with a Barnes and Jones BigMouth and get about 50% more venting even with that 1/4" pipe. That 1/4" pipe will vent about 3.4 Cubic feet per minute. The Gorton 2 will vent 2.2 CFM and a BigMouth will vent 3.6 CFM, (all at 3 ounces of pressure). In this case you'll get 3.3 to 3.4 CFM of venting. You will have to change your 1/4X1/2" coupling with a 1/4X3/4" coupling.