Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Taco ECM pumps

DC123
DC123 Member Posts: 69
This probably betrays considerable ignorance of circulators, but the Taco 007e and VR1816 seem like similar pumps if you're using them as the pump on a secondary loop with zone valves. (if it matters, assume for the purposes of this question two zones of 3/4" copper pipe with about 70 feet of fin tube per zone). Any reason you would choose one over the other?

Comments

• Leon82
    Leon82 Member Posts: 684
    edited November 2016
    The 1816 will run in a few modes. Constant pressure for one. And variable speed which you can fine tune

The 007 has one speed and curve as far as I know

Constant pressure is good for zonevalves
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,556
    No advantage to 1816 in that application
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Price.
  • sunlight33
    sunlight33 Member Posts: 378
    Which mode of operation on the 1816 is ideal for a two-zone baseboard system (w/o TRV)?
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Assuming those zones are controlled by valves, I would generally choose constant pressure mode. Check the ΔT while the boiler is firing on a cold day, exercise the zone valves and see how it behaves. Adjust head as necessary to produce desired results.
    Rich_49
  • DC123
    So I guess the question is, if the constant pressure setting on the 1816 is preferred for zone values, but the 007e is fixed speed, doesn't that imply that the 1816 should be the preferred circulator in this setting?
  • DC123
    Ah, that was the source of my confusion. Thanks!
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,556
    With a zone valve application, the 007e is the same. Take a look at the pump curve.
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.