Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

upside down steam trap

Options
jclark
jclark Member Posts: 14
is it common to see upside down steam trap installation? what problems would occur from installing a f&t trap upside down?

Comments

• bob_46
    bob_46 Member Posts: 813
    Options
    The F in F&T stands for float. Picture your toilet upside down the float won't work very well.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

jclarkHatterasguy
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,074
    Options
    Constant steam in the return, coming out of the cond pump vent if you have one.
    A picture would be interesting.
    jclark
  • Sailah
    Sailah Member Posts: 826
    Options
    As mentioned it would be blowing steam like its job.

Inline F&T look a little upside down maybe?

Post up a pic
    Peter Owens
    SteamIQ
    jclark
  • jclark
    Options
    I knew it was a questionable question to ask didn't seem right to me but im no pro at steam and surprisingly in my 3 yrs of dealing with an industrial 2 pipe system and dealing with at least 5 companies that claim to understand steam. I decide to rebuild the traps myself and it took me one time to say this cant be right. im at a loss of words that so many could miss this. I will try and get some pics up. thanks for confirming what I thought as weve had water hammer problems and steam pouring out condensate tank for a long time with many doing things that never fixed problem, hopefully this does. will put update at later time
  • Sailah
    Options
    Everything is possible. Found this Inverted Bucket trap installed backwards running 90 PSIG a couple months ago doing a plant tour. I was told it's been that way for years Imagine the steam wasted.

Peter Owens
    SteamIQ
    jclark
  • jclark
    Options
    will do n thanks don't know if you remember me but we talked a few months ago when I place an order for steam traps thru FW Webb and there was a problem with the treads on the thermostats. I do have a question for you I have an umarked trap and will need to get a rebuild kit for it next yr. Maybe I could send you a pic n some info and you might know which one it is.
  • Sailah
    Options
    My pleasure, I do remember, 41T right?
    Peter Owens
    SteamIQ
  • jclark
    Options
    42t if I remember right
  • jclark
    Options
  • Sailah
    Options
    Yes,
    That's a 42T and as you correctly assume, installed upside down. And most certainly blowing steam. I'll find a trap and take pics to show what I mean
    Peter Owens
    SteamIQ
  • Sailah
    Options
    Shows the float hanging down which pulls the plug off the seat
    Peter Owens
    SteamIQ
  • Sailah
    Options
    Float mechanism
    Peter Owens
    SteamIQ
  • neilc
    neilc Member Posts: 2,707
    Options
    that's a funny,

either the fire protection is on the floor and the picture is upside down,
    OR,
    it says "bottom" upside down on the top side of your trap there.

Is there a manual for that ??

and I'm laughing with you, not at you.
    known to beat dead horses
    JUGHNE
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,074
    Options
    Well, they printed "bottom" upside down, how could they expect anyone to read it. :|

Also could this be plumbed backwards? It seems the trap was installed to line up with existing pipes.....you just rotate the trap around until the pipes line up with some holes and get er done!