Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Strange noise from thermomix valve...

warno
warno Member Posts: 229
edited November 2016 in THE MAIN WALL
I was heating my storage tanks this morning and I noticed a strange noise coming from my thermomix valve. Or at least that's where the noise sounded like it was coming from. This valve is on my hot water system that runs through a plate HX to charge my storage tanks. My supply temps were about 185F and my return temps were about 135F. I know the valve is a thermostat valve but could it be shuttering or something.

Here's a video of the noise.

https://youtu.be/s03KQdLwKA4

Any help would be great thank you. Trying to get all my ducks in a row before the big cold hits.

Comments

• Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,261
    I've run into that before. It only happens when the valve is in a certain position. Like bypassing most of the water while the tanks are still cold. Once the tanks warm up it goes away. I have only noticed it with the 160 degree element installed. Is that perhaps what you have in? I don't believe it's anything of major concern.
  • warno
    My valve is the 140 thermostat. So maybe that's what the 135 degree return temps are doing to it. So is it the plunger shuttering inside marketing the noise? Shouldn't be any concern?
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,786
    what kind of flow rate are you moving through it?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    edited November 2016
    Do you have a multi-speed circulator on the loop? With cold storage return and hot supply most of the flow is recirculation through the boiler. You could try slowing down the circulator one speed or using a valve for throttling. Ithe sounds like a flow issue through the very small opening of the thermostat at that point in charg8ng storage.

Try some experimenting with those things and get back to us with your results.

Taylor
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
  • warno
    I can't seem to find the head loss equivalent through my plate HX to get my flow rate accurate but in my fittings and piping I'm sitting at about 20 gpm with my speed setting on my pump. If someone could help me out I have a 20 plate brazed heat exchanger and a diverter valve with a cv of 7.5 in the loop. What would my gpm be after those other items added?

I could try changing my pump speed and adjusting some valves. I'll be running it again today I'll test those things out.
  • warno
    So I didn't get a catch to fire my boiler today to check on the valve closing options, but I find that my plate HX has a head loss of about 10 feet. So that drops my flow rate down to around 10 gpm going into my 7.5cv valve it runs through. Could anyone tell me what gpm i'd be running after hitting the 7.5cv with 10 gpm?
  • hot_rod
    The Caleffi valve is either a 10 or 14 cv, in 1 or 1-1/4 sizes.

Here is an Excel spread sheet we built. If you know pressure drop you can calculate flow. Or add a flow meter.

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • warno
    So ive been playing around adjusting flow with valves and pump speed settings. Doesn't matter what I do the valve still makes the noise, it just changes tone/frequency etc. So, I'm wondering now if I change the thermostat element to a lower temp unit of that would help get the valve open better so it's not in the butter zone of half open/closed. Right now the valve is a 140 degree element I'm wondering if I go to the 130 option of this will help. I've also thought about maybe going to the 115 degree option and only use it when I'm up and running but change it back to the 140 for the intial heat up of the storage tanks at the start of the heating season. Would either of these options be a good choice?
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    What's the pressure?
  • hot_rod
    Give Cody a call at 414 238 2371. He has additional updated info on that valve.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • warno
    The loop that the valve is on is an open system. Only pressure is whatever the circulator is building.

Thank you hot rod, I'll give that number a call.