Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Tank is blocked

Options
HeatingHelp
HeatingHelp Administrator Posts: 637
This discussion was created from comments split from: sluge in oil tanks what can I do?.

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Options
    The only way to tell is with a vacuum gauge connected in line (first). Then you can tell if you have a blockage or a pinhole in the line.
    You can with a push pull pump try to pump back to the tank, the switch it to see if you can draw from the tank.
    Then you can move the vacuum gauge to the pump to check the pump, and also use a pressure gauge to check the pump.
    Putting the diesel transfer pump was a bad idea & probably killed the fuel pump. The fuel pump doesn't do well over 3psi of inlet pressure.
    Your best bet is to get a competent pro out there with the proper diagnostic tools.
    You can replace the line, and find the pump is bad. You can replace the pump and find the line is bad. Or now both can be bad. But a new pump will require you to check the pressure with a pressure gauge to make sure it's dialed in correctly-especially if you are running a burner that is not 100 psi.
    steve
  • EricC
    EricC Member Posts: 2
    Options
    The diesel pump didn't go through the burner pump. I was working only on the supply lines. I'll check the push pull pump. Thanks