Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Tank is blocked

Options
HeatingHelp
HeatingHelp Administrator Posts: 636
This discussion was created from comments split from: sluge in oil tanks what can I do?.

Comments

• EricC
    EricC Member Posts: 2
    Options
    So I think my tank/tube is blocked. The tank, if the age of the house, is 37years old. Here is what I have so far. Two 500g buried tanks and 3/8 copper tube doing recirculation. There is a single in line filter and valve shutoff beside the furnace. The furnace ran rich when I connected the pump through a short line to a can of kero. So the pump seems good. Sucking on the tube upstream of the filter I could tell the line doesn't want to flow. I connected a diesel transfer pump and pushed 3gal of kero through the filter and inlet tube. The kero was mixed with a couple bottles of sludge treatment. Then I connected the pump to recirculate, drawing from the inlet and through the filter. That was around 15minutes. The inlet hose was froth on top of red the whole time while the outlet hose was red. I didn't measure flow so I don't know if the pump was moving oil or just spinning. After this I restored the line up with new flare fittings and filter. The furnace burned for a minute and stopped. The measured tank level is at least 270gal. Does it sound blocked? If so I will investigate replacement while I draw from new tube in the short term.