Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

accounting for unheated crawl space in heat loss

Options
Boon
Boon Member Posts: 260
edited November 2016 in THE MAIN WALL
Is comfort above an unheated, ventilated crawl space more than simply satisfying the heat loss of the room? I have faith in my heat loss numbers because they work in every other room in my house except my sunroom, which is 10x11 above an unheated crawl space: hardwood floor; 3/4" subfloor; 2x6" joists with 6" fiberglass; 4 mil vapor barrier.

The sunroom's air temp is 74-75° but the floor has an average temp of 68°. It is very noticeable when you step in. I need better comfort in there. Even if I were to increase the size of the radiators I don't think that fixes (or does it?) the fact that my floor is a virtual radiant cold loop .

Any thoughts on how to improve the comfort? Maybe adding 2" of foam in the crawl space. Maybe lift the hardwood, install warmboard, and replace the hardwood floor - I'm not excited about the prospect of all that work. Adding another radiator is out... not sure another radiator fixes this.

Thanks
DIY'er ... ripped out a perfectly good forced-air furnace and replaced it with hot water & radiators.

Comments

• SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    Mean radiant temperature represents roughly two thirds of your perception of hot and cold. Radiant floor tubing will likely produce the best results, but it's not inexpensive.

Sheet foam on the bottom of the joists would add R-value, reduce convection, and dramatically lower thermal bridging via the floor joists. I would be mindful of dewpoint issues, though.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    Any insulation will help. I rolled in some Insultarp in my crawlspace, white side up. It made it easier to roll around and work in and it also seemed to help with the cold dirt floor sucking heat.

Do you close the vents in winter time?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Options
    Can you make the crawl space conditioned?

I have a crawl space unventilated to the exterior , but vented to the basement. foam insulation on the walls and fan fold insulation on the floor which is concrete. The floor above is insulated with r19 batts.

Even with insulation if you could condition the crawlspace it will help the foor above. Otherwise a radiant floor is the best answer. Preferably over the top.
  • Boon
    Options
    The vents aren't operable vents so it never occurred that I should/could close them for winter. I'll close them off some and I'll try a couple inches of foam. If that doesn't help enough I'll do the radiant on top, which would fit well since the sunroom floor is about 1-1/4" lower than the rest of the first floor. It'll be fun doing the radiant loop.
    DIY'er ... ripped out a perfectly good forced-air furnace and replaced it with hot water & radiators.
  • Gordy
    Options
    Does the crawl space have a dirt floor?
  • Boon
    Options
    It is a dirt floor.
  • Gordy
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Better keep it ventilated then.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    Sealing the space would be the best. leaving the vents open in the winter will cost some, maybe a lot of energy dollars.

The under slab insulation products are really easy to install your self.

There are companies that specialize in sealing crawls.

http://www.basementsystems.com/crawl-space/crawl-space-ventilation.html
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream