Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Viessmann Boiler Warranty Changes ?

heathead
heathead Member Posts: 237
In reading warranty for Viessmann it used to cover heat exchanger for a lifetime in residential installs, from memory . Has anyone had a heat exchanger (Inox Radial heat exchanger) fail in the vitodens 200 or 100. The exchanger looked bullet proof. Maybe the housing could be the fail point. The New Warranty is Prorated after 10 years. Is this because of the new CU3A design or have the older style been failing so they changed the warranty.

Comments

• gschallert
    gschallert Member Posts: 170
    Looks like the warranty change might have been Sep 1 2016. The brochures left with my in-laws last month show a lifetime warranty on the exchanger in residential settings so obviously that literature is out of date now. Usually warranty changes (reductions) are driven by cost cutting measures so it does make me wonder if they are starting to fail and when was the product line introduced? Is it about 10 years old now? If so that would make sense ...
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,661
    the older heat exchangers in the WB-2B's (the original wall-hung) can fail, especially if not cleaned properly. Viessmann just came out with a new HX cleaning tool, which makes it a lot easier. I had made my own cleaning tool out of a thin 1" wide putty knife, including serations to help cut the gunk. The failures are usually hairline cracks or pinholes often between sections, concealed by the caked-on carbonized gunk. Viessmann will usually honor the 10yr warranty IF the HX has been serviced regularly and proof of purchase is produced.