Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Considering replacing main vents with faster Barnes & Jones Big Mouth Air Vents...set up question.

Options
Roddy
Roddy Member Posts: 63
I'm considering buying two Barnes & Jones Big Mouth Air Vents (one for each of my two mains) to increase main venting on my single pipe steam heating system. Before I made my own adjustments to the main vents years ago, the two main vents were directly above the main returns, and above it (raised on a nipple) by only a couple/few inches. My earlier modification years ago, in which I replaced the original set up with a candelabra of three Gorton #1's on each of the two returns was accompanied by adding nipples so that the new main vents were higher than the originals and almost touching the basement ceiling. I think I did this after reading The Wall and Dan's books.

Now, years later, I'm thinking of improving a bit more with the Barnes & Jones Big Mouth Vents, but... Is it okay to lower the current vent set up a bit to accommodate the taller Barnes & Jones vents? Is there any special tricks or insights you have so as to avoid any issues with the new vents and installation, i.e. should I not go directly upward from the main returns, and instead do a set up to make it offset a bit? Not sure. Any advice is appreciated.
Roddy

Comments

• BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    The big mouth is a couple of inches bigger so you will probably need a shorter nipple. It seems to be very rugged so I'd be inclined to try it on a shorter nipple and see if there is any evidence of spitting.

If it does spit try going laterally 12-16" and see how that works.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    You say you added the Gorton #1's several years ago. If you think one or more of them is/has failed, do replace them with the BigMouth. You'll spend as much for a couple Gorton #1's as you will for a Bigmouth. If you have them two or three or inches above the main, you should be fine. They are only about 1.5" taller than the Gorton #1, a bit less when threaded into your stand pipe.