Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Sealant for SRJ-1 roof jack

Bill751
Bill751 Member Posts: 119
I was wondering what the pro's choice of sealant would be for an SRJ-1 roof jack on a 1970's metal mobile home roof. The local heating supply place I purchased the jack from said to use whatever I wanted under the flashing flange. I've looked around including here and found no mention at all. I had briefly thought about going with a butyl tape between the flange and roof then using more traditional roof sealants over the flange and eventually the aluminum mobile home roof coating as a top coat. However I'm not sure if the butyl would be a good idea or not for several reasons, including not knowing what sealant was used under the current jack and its compatibility with the tape should the old sealant/residue be difficult to completely remove. Perhaps just a waterproof roof cement would be best, but I'm really just guessing at this point. So I'd like to know how the professionals seal these roof jacks rather than experimenting hoping I've chosen the best material/method before I tear it out. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,459
    I have used everything from silicone sealant to asphalt sealant, and have had no problem with either one. Asphalt works better if you use the fiberglass mesh on the seams and then use the asphalt to cover it. The plastic cement style works best.
    Rick
  • Bill751
    Bill751 Member Posts: 119
    Rick, Good to know. Thank you for the reply and tips!

Bill