Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New to hot water radiators, looking for some guidance

bross2
bross2 Member Posts: 2
I just bought a house with radiator heating and I've never had any experience with radiators before. The house was built around 1950 or so, so I'm assuming the radiators were installed around that time. It's a two story house with I believe convection radiators through out the house. I have enclosed a picture of one of the radiators. I have a few questions. Some of the radiators get slightly warm and others don't get warm at all. Most of them have a pull chain on the front, I'm assuming that is is for some type of damper to restrict the amount of heat each one puts out. Should I expect the radiators to get "hot" or are they designed to just get warm and that's it? I also see a hole toward the top of the radiators to allow for them to be bleed. I'm not sure how to do this without making a mess though, the valve is behind the cover so if I open the bleed valve then water is going to come out behind the cover correct? Also I'm guessing the lower section of the covers can be removed but of course the co
vers have been painted over. is there anything I should look at on the boiler? Is there any type of temperature setting on the boiler that could be adjusted similar to the setting on a hot water heater or does it adjust the heat based on the wall thermostat? I'm just trying to get a better understanding of how the system should be working and I would like to get the radiators to be some what consistent in each room of the house. Thanks for the help

Comments

• Can you post pictures of the boiler, radiators with as much of the cover removed as possible, and thermostat?-NBC
  • bross2
    bross2 Member Posts: 2
    I am currently at work so I don't have any good pictures right now. But I can give you some info. The model of the boiler is a Burnham ALP150N-LO2 and I have enclosed the only picture I currently have but it's not a very good picture. Also here is a link to my boiler model.

http://www.supplyhouse.com/Burnham-ALP150W-Alpine-119000-BTU-Output-Condensing-Boiler-Wall-Mount

I also attached a picture of the style of thermostat that I have. I haven't tried to take any of the covers off yet so I don't have any pictures of that yet. I have looked under one of them and I see a pipe coming up from the floor on each side and a row of aluminum fins across the bottom.

thanks