Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Riello oil pressure loss

donaldmc
donaldmc Member Posts: 35
Is it correct that the oil pressure in a F3 Riello goes to 0 when the motor stops? A Beckett burner holds the pressure. The burner is working but I'm concerned I might have a leak in the oil line. The gauge is attached to the bleeder as per instructed. Thanks for any reply.

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    You can check an oil leak visually and also with a vacuum gauge.
    Where/how are you checking pressure?
    steve
  • donaldmc
    I see no oil leak but most of the line is buried. The vacuum gauge I have will not fit Riello.
    I'm not that familiar with Riello.
    With a Beckett I place a pressure gauge between the pump and nozzle where, with the motor off, the gauge holds pressure.
    The Riello gauge being on the bleed port; where the gauge will not hold pressure with the motor off. Does this indicate a oil line leak?
    So far no call back but it's been cold. If the burner is off for a few day I'd hate to lose prime because of a leak.
    dennis53
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Are you having an actual problem or just curious?
    The pump doesn't hold pressure at the bleed port when the burner is off. You don't check cut-off on a Riello. It also wouldn't tell you on any burner if you have an oil line leak.
    You can put a vacuum gauge inline, between the pump and the shutoff valve. Run the burner, bleed the pump, run for a little while, close tank valve to pull a vacuum, shut off burner. If it holds the vacuum for 5 minutes, you don't have a leak (make sure all your vacuum gauge connections are tight).
    Best solution, new sleeved oil line, above ground, with OSV (gravity fed), power purge.
    A far second best solution-Filter at tank, then OSV, Tiger Loop at burner. Now you wont leak into the ground, and the Tiger Loop will de-aerate the vacuum leak.
    steve
    Canucker
  • donaldmc
    More curious then having a problem. I was having a hell of a time priming the Riello, but I hear that's normal.
    Thanks for the reply. I'll try the vacuum test next time I'm there. Still no call backs but if it happens due to vacuum leak the tiger loop would be the fix. Thanks again for the help!
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    If it's a simple basement buried oil line, I'd abandon it ASAP. Run a new line in a sleeve from tank to burner if you areally able.

Taylor
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!