Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Laars Mascot efficiency heater noise

lauren_2
lauren_2 Member Posts: 3
I have a unit on my bedroom wall in my apartment. Moved in in April with no problems. All of a sudden it makes an obnoxious clicking noise when someone turns on the hot water and then it proceeds to make a thumping noise inside the wall every 30 seconds until the thermometer reads 30 or below (which takes a few hours). It's to the point that I can't get to sleep at night. The repair man tried to tell me it's because of the colder temperatures, but that doesn't make sense to me being that it was even colder than it is now when we started using it.

Comments

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,462
    Sounds like its expansion noises from a pipe warming up. Do you have something leaning against the piping?
  • jonny88
    jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
    Thumping noise sounds like a rough ignition was a combustion analysis performed on unit.
  • lauren_2
    edited October 2016
    Nothing up against the wall. We are getting hot water fine. Could the loud noise be a sign that it's about to break? The contractor did mention the pipe needing to warm up as a possible sign but they would have to get into the wall to find the problem. The thumping noise occurs faster when it's warming up, about ever second and slower when it's cooling down, about every thirty seconds for the next 2 hours.
  • lauren_2
    edited October 2016
    It sounds like something is hitting the wall from inside.