Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Found a snake, banged my head, finished up the 2" returns!

adamfre
adamfre Member Posts: 122
Everyone's basement probably has that one 'Tim the Toolman' pipe they frequently hit their head on while descending the basement steps. Mine happens to be a 140 year old floor joist.
When I got started this morning I started down the steps and noticed a small snake at the foot of the stairs! I bent down to check him out, turned out it was a wayward garden snake that had managed to find his way in to get away from the cold outside. After poking him some and figuring out he was alive I decided to go back upstairs and grab a Tupperware bowel to catch the the critter with (don't tell my wife!) I jumped up real fast and did not realize I was beneath the beam of many names and..... hit it so hard my neck popped. I saw stars!! Did manage to get the snake caught, but hurt bad enough I didn't feel like cramming myself into the crawl space to connect rads to returns soooo, I finished up the 2" work in the basement.

I've got about a days worth of work left in the crawl, hopefully I will be skimming Sunday afternoon. We are getting close!

Just want to stay warm in the winter. :D
ChrisJkcoppb_bz

Comments

• gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    doing good and looking good!
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• New England SteamWorks
    New England SteamWorks Member Posts: 1,521
    adamfre said:

Everyone's basement probably has that one 'Tim the Toolman' pipe they frequently hit their head on

That made me laugh! It's so true. Seems like there is one in every basement that I am always banging my noggin against. Even needed stitches one time...

You're looking good Adam! Don't forget some boiler drains or plugs on the ends of those returns. One day you'll probably want to flush them out.
    New England SteamWorks
    Service, Installation, & Restoration of Steam Heating Systems
    newenglandsteamworks.com
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    I'll put in another plug for these. Just enough brim to keep the falling bits from falling behind your safety glasses, but not enough to kill your peripheral vision.