Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Slim radiator or angled feed/shutoff valve?

I recently removed a wall-mounted convection radiator from our single pipe steam system and need some help identifying the possible replacement options. The middle of the feed pipe is only ~1.75 inches off the wall and not movable (see picture). I looked at purchasing a new CI unit from OCS Industries but their slimmest offering needs at least 2.5 inches of clearance from the wall, and it is my understanding that the flat "European" style radiators are only for hot water systems.

As I see it, I have two options:

1) Replace the right-angle connector on the feed with a 120-degree connector (angled away from the wall) and then attach the shutoff valve to gain some space from the wall.

2) Find a slim steam radiator that can heat a ~90 sq. ft. room

Any advice would be very much appreciated!


  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    edited October 2016
    Why did you remove the old convector? What size is that pipe? If it's 1" pipe, it will only support about 25 EDR. If it's 1-1/4" it will support 55 EDR. Do you know what size radiator you need? If You can turn that 90 degree elbow 45 degrees, relative to the wall, use a 45 degree elbow and a close/short nipple and get as much distance off the wall as you will need for just about any radiator.
  • Danny Scully
    Danny Scully Member Posts: 1,415
    edited October 2016
    Http://www.steamradiator.com, check out the steamview.
    New England SteamWorks