Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Tankless Heater Piping

Options
CLamb
CLamb Member Posts: 286
This diagram is from a Weil-McLain SGO-3 manual. Could someone explain to me why it specifies the 12" height difference between the cold water feed to the coil and the cold water feed to the mixer?

Comments

• MikeSpeed6030
    MikeSpeed6030 Member Posts: 69
    Options
    Probably to help prevent gravity flow of hot water back into the cold water supply.
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,440
    Options
    The older mixing valves being exposed to the super hot water would tend to shorten their life and cause warm water to migrate out. The newer asse rated valves have check valves in them. However it is still good practice to do so.
    That my 2 cents.
    In all honesty tankless coils in steam boilers are really energy hogs and I try to get customers to not have me install them. That being said I just did one this week....
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,231
    Options
    Once in a while you've got little choice but to reinstall a tankless coil but I usually push for a storage tank, which can be an electric water heater (wired or unwired), and pair the two with a good shuttle pump.

That 12" drop is called a thermal trap or a thermal loop. It's there to help prevent heat migration. Of course, if you're using a recirculation line, the loop doesn't help much.
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes