Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

boiler tune up question

edot44
edot44 Member Posts: 4
Hi all-I have a fairly new (2013) oil burner its a Weil-McLain that operates a steam system Last year it was serviced at the end of the season in early march. Ideally I want to service in Nov, but just the way timing worked out (moved into new house) my question is..should i go ahead and have it serviced again in November or wait the full year and stick to march? appreciate your thoughts.

Comments

• ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,583
    Was it used all summer?
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • edot44
    edot44 Member Posts: 4
    it was not, was shut off. i guess my main concern is getting on a schedule where we tune up in the beginning of the season as opposed to the end.
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Since it wasn't used all summer, I'd wait and have it serviced in November of 2017. That actually will be one full heating season. (give or take a month).
    New England SteamWorks
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    edited October 2016
    and I'd recommend having it cleaned in the spring every year. That way all the residue from the previous heating season can be cleaned out and wont harden into place over the summer. Another reason, tech's arent as busy so they have more time to pay attention to the small details...IMHO...
    kcopp
  • SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,137
    For what it's worth I always recommend getting the heating system tuned up in the fall and the A/C in the spring. Get it done before you need to use it
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,713
    I agree with SuperTech for those who have combination heating and Cooling duct systems... mainly for the air filter part of the maintenance.

In your case however, there are some boiler related maintenance items (especially on oil heat) that are better handled sooner than later. Water related repair like a leaking air vent on a water system or a leaking packing nut or gasket can become more of a mess to address after it has leaked all summer. Also scale and carbon buildup in the flue passages will crust over and harden the longer it sits. March or April is good for you situation.
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics