Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Navian--warrenty replacment upgrade to NCB series or stick to same unit (CH series)??

robin_4
robin_4 Member Posts: 2
Hello,

I read a few threads about settings for the system which I do want to better understand. I was able to change some settings and play with the remote a little but the manual was horrible at explaining what things meant IMO. I have a small, 3 bedroom, 2 bath house about 1k sqft. The basement has a separate zone with a shortage of baseboard probably and that is why it never seemed to warm up for me down there. I wonder if the NCB series would provide greater output and help with the second zone. Or, is there too much heat loss to keep up.

I'm a rookie here but eager to better understand this system. Sorry for long post, I'm just so frustrated and need to figure this out as it is getting cold. I'm on Long Island in NY btw.

1) Do you recommend saving $500 and just swapping with same unit?
2) What sort of questions should I ask the tech during installation to make sure he has it on the right settings?
3) Do you think I should get a service plan with plumber given likelihood the unit will have issues post-installation? I'm going to inquire about their guarantees, seems like there should be something but there are limited certified techs and I think we went through them all.

Background in case one is considering Navian:
We moved into our house with a baby right out of the NICU in Dec 2014. We were told by inspector our Navian CH-210 tankless combo unit was great. When we turned it on the following winter we started having problems and the nightmare began. The unit would overheat and shut off and the hot water was not consistent . I had to turn it off and on and off and on again many times to run a bath for my baby. So, after the 3rd company and many calls with Navian, we discovered it was the 3-way valve but they failed to include an important o-ring in the kit, almost leaving us without heat on very cold night with sick baby and not to mention $$$ to have tech come back to put the Oring on. Oh, and Navian said it was the circulator pump and mailed it to plumber #1 who we refused to pay and got in heated argument with (big time jerk) and didn't want to send another one, really? The tech also saw a leak which seemed to be the heat exchanger but wasn't able to get the picture for Navian and didn't want to force it and risk the heater shutting down. So, i decided before turning the heat on the following winter (present) I'd have the system flushed and deal with possible replacement of the system at that time. After fighting with Navian, they did cover the labor for the return visit but still cost a lot but hey, we did have hot water and heat. Also, we did not have any issues the remainder of the winter and hot water still going strong. Although, there has been the leak that has continued.

Yesterday, I called the same tech back and we got the picture and Navian is offering to replace the unit. I get to choose to replace the same one or upgrade to the NCB series at greater labor costs and to me greater risks that something else may go wrong. So, I'm torn about what I should do. Usually an upgrade seems like a no brainer but I'm very nervous.

Thank you so much in advance for your wisdom.
Robin

Comments

• Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,556
    South shore?
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • njtommy
    njtommy Member Posts: 1,105
    I really like my navien NCB. They did fix some problems the ch units when they came out with the ncbs. They are now on the second generation of the NCB.

If the boiler is piped wrong you will not get flow to your second zone. A picture of the piping would show us if it's done properly.

The unit you have now is 18,000 min firing rate and Max at 80k. If the boiler short cycles a lot it could be the cause of your problems or even a bad install.
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,556
    There were a ton of these installed after Hurricane Sandy on the south shore of LI and the proportion of bad installs is astounding
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • robin_4
    robin_4 Member Posts: 2
    Thank, Robert. I am on the south shore and did decide to move forward with the NCB series based on concept that usually newer models have some improvements. I was also told the same regarding installs. I hope I've chosen a good company. I was told the install looked ok but the settings may have been off. The 3-way valve fixed the shorting out and hot water issue. It may be that we do not have enough baseboards in the basement too. Hard to know. I really hope this unit doesn't give us any problems, can't afford it!

• Brewbeer
    Brewbeer Member Posts: 616
    @robin What is the total length of baseboard you have in the basement, and is the basement above or below grade?
    Hydronics inspired homeowner with self-designed high efficiency low temperature baseboard system and professionally installed mod-con boiler with indirect DHW. My system design thread: http://forum.heatinghelp.com/discussion/154385
    System Photo: https://us.v-cdn.net/5021738/uploads/FileUpload/79/451e1f19a1e5b345e0951fbe1ff6ca.jpg