Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Funeral for a Friend -Boilers

Options
RayWohlfarth
RayWohlfarth Member Posts: 1,494
I visited a school flooded in WV this summer to assess the boilers damaged by the water. The boilers were damaged so severely they could not be salvaged. I was hoping to get a purchase order for the replacement boilers when the owner told me they are trying to move away with boilers and use packaged rooftop units with heating and AC. I was a bit shocked and told him the benefits of boilers. He informed me the school board requires AC to be installed whenever they can. I still believe in boilers as a heating medium but it sometimes feels like I am speaking into the wind. I am wondering if you are seeing the same thing in your market. Thanks Ray
Ray Wohlfarth
Boiler Lessons

Comments

• njtommy
    njtommy Member Posts: 1,105
    Options
    We do a lot of schools and still see plenty of boilers Mostly because of VAV boxes and reheat coils in the duct work and wall units, but either way they are heating with water. In really old buildings it's steam.

I have noticed a lot more schools installing VRV systems either Daikin, LG, or Mitsubishi. Even with these units they are only running them for a little bit of heat in shoulder seasons and then switching back to the boilers.
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    Options
    I see it all the time but I won't be that guy. I've walked away from converting hydronics to forced air twice in the last 6 months. The jobs were mine if I wanted them. I didn't.

Steve Minnich
    SWEInjtommyRich_49
  • RayWohlfarth
    Options
    Stephen I agree I could not rip out a great hydronic system and install a packaged rooftop
    NJTommy we are seeing the VRF going in everywhere also
    Ray Wohlfarth
    Boiler Lessons
    TinmanSWEI
  • New England SteamWorks
    Options
    Funeral for a Friend
    -Love Lies Bleeding...

I had a pair of platforms just like those!
    1973.png 447.1K
    New England SteamWorks
    Service, Installation, & Restoration of Steam Heating Systems
    newenglandsteamworks.com
    Tinman
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Options
    Ray, this had been predicted many years ago, and fortunately for our industry, some very bright people with great insights began the Hydronics Industry Alliance- Commercial. This is a committee of the RPA. They are VERY aware, and have already begun the task of showing PROOF that the numbers the VRF folks toss around are inaccurate, at best. They like using their test bench numbers, which rarely match what happens in the field.

There has also been a commensurate drop in boiler sales noted in Eastern Canada, which correlated to an increase in VRF sales. That industry (VRF) could write a check for our WHOLE industry. They have stated publicly that it is their intention to take over all HVAC markets, and by golly, they aren't kidding.

More information on the HIA-C can be seen by visiting our web site at http://www.radiantprofessionalsalliance.org/HIA/Pages/default.aspx

This group has some VERY interesting software getting ready to hit the market that will show what it really costs to operate ANY system (within reason). They will be unveiling it at AHR this coming January.

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

SWEI
  • RayWohlfarth
    Options
    Steelworks I did also LOL Mark I can't wait to see the software
    Ray Wohlfarth
    Boiler Lessons