Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

NooB question, should main slant away, or towards boiler?

Options
adamfre
adamfre Member Posts: 122
edited September 2016 in Strictly Steam
Hi gang!
Been a while since I've posted, still trudging along with my steam heat, just takes a while when you only have a few hundred to throw at it each month :)
My situation is; coming out of the top of my drop header is a 2.5" pipe to supply the house. It goes up about a foot, elbows and shoots 7' foot across my basement. About in the middle of this run a T will have to be placed to accommodate a 2" main which feeds the east side of the house. At the end of the 7' run a reducing elbow will be placed to accommodate the 2" main which feeds the west side of the house. Everything currently slants AWAY from the boiler, but I'm afraid the two reducers in the 2.5" pipe is going to cause condensate to accumulate within the pipe. Should I.....

a) Instead of the reducing elbow at the end of the 2.5" run, use a reducing T for the 2" main, then a bit further down use an elbow to plumb the 2.5" pipe into the wet return.

b) Slant the 2.5" main back towards the boiler, allowing it to drain back into the header.

c) Not worry about it at all?

My system is an old 2 pipe air vent system. I am in the process of replacing the boiler due to age (using a Peerless 63-05) and correcting a few generations of add-ons :)

Thanks for any advice in advance!
Adam
Just want to stay warm in the winter. :D

Comments