Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

In search of a Direct vent steamer

Options
Howdy wallies,

A client called today that the building next to him built up 4 stories above his residence and he is now required to raise his chimney. His architect recommend he go with a "high efficiency boiler". I explained he has steam and not hydronic heat, however a direct vent may be an option.
The residence is roughly 3000sq ft so we arent talking about a very big boiler here. DHW generation is a requirement here, most likely in the form of a coil rather then an indirect water heater.
Fuel is NG.

I am only familiar with one manufacturer that has a steam direct vent if i recall its burnham. That boiler doesnt have a coil.

Ideas welcome.
:NYplumber:

Comments

• John Mills_5
    John Mills_5 Member Posts: 951
    Options
    Independence PV, though looks like no coil. How about a PVC vented conventional water heater?

http://www.usboiler.net/product/independence-gas-fired-steam-boiler.html

Of course could investigate an atmospheric vent boiler and a power vent kit like Tjernlund or Field Controls sells.
  • Henry
    Henry Member Posts: 998
    edited September 2016
    Options
    You need to measure the radiation for the sizing. Smith has the HE versions of the 28 now for 2% better efficiency. Get a condensing hot water tank like the HTP. It has 95% efficiency and modulates. Why heat such a large mass at 82% combustion efficiency??? You loose 8 to 10% in the boilker room.
  • Danny Scully
    Danny Scully Member Posts: 1,425
    Options
    In reality, you can direct vent any boiler. One option would be a slant/fin galaxy which has a coil option. Contact Field Controls and they can spec it out for you.
  • NYplumber
    NYplumber Member Posts: 503
    Options
    Henry, im aware of proper sizing technique.
    The added cost of an on demand will never pay for itself.

Danny scully, i was hoping to find a system that comes from the factory rather then put together a system.
    :NYplumber: