Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Baseboard off a steam boiler

Options
mjs6782
mjs6782 Member Posts: 3
Hi
I have a peerless oil fueled steam boiler that I'm switching to gas. Currently in addition to the steam there are two zones of base board heating. The first zone has 30 feet of heating element while the second zone has 37 feet of heating element. The first zone has provide heat pretty well the past two winters, the second zone has been for a finished attic left at 55 degrees (so can't tell how good it has been).
I would like to add a third zone of baseboard. Question is do I have enough btu coming off the coil and if I do how many feet of baseboard can I get?
The coil has a 1/2 inch copper pipe coming off it and then it splits into two 3/4 inch pipes feeding the two zones
Attached are pictures of the piping.
Is my coil to small for further zones? Perhaps it's already overloaded if it's a 1/2 inch coil?
Answers and guidance would greatly help
Thanks

Comments

• EzzyT
    EzzyT Member Posts: 1,295
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Do you know the flow rate of the coil? If it is a 1/2" coil your already overloaded on your existing set up. You might be able to get a larger 3/4" or 1" coil to fit in boiler. You would have to contact Peerless or one of there Reps to see if they make a larger coil that will fit in your boiler. If they don't then I would go with an external tank style heat exchanger like Everhot piped off the wet legs of the boiler and on the coil side of the heat exchanger you would pipe your zones of hot water just like a hot water boiler. I personally do a fair amount of these set up a year and they work great.
    E-Travis Mechanical LLC
    Etravismechanical@gmail.com
    201-887-8856
    Paul S_3
  • mjs6782
    mjs6782 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    So I checks with peerless they were very unhelpful then I looked at the manual and it says that the piping at this attachment site is 3/4 inch. Does that mean the coil in 3/4 inch?
  • Paul S_3
    Paul S_3 Member Posts: 1,261
    edited September 2016
    Options
    the coil in your pic is 1/2 in female NPT....what @EzzyT is recommending is that you call Peerless or preferably go to a plumbing supply that deals with Peerless....and see if they make a tankless coil with a larger GPM output which will have a larger tapping,...i was always taught that you should not heat a load greater than the pick up factor of the boiler....what size is the room you want to heat?.....what size are the existing rooms that are heated?...I prefer ezzy's setup with the everhot heat exchanger...especially if your doing this yourself....where you located?
    ASM Mechanical Company
    Located in Staten Island NY
    Servicing all 5 boroughs of NYC.
    347-692-4777
    ASMMECHANICALCORP@GMAIL.COM
    ASMHVACNYC.COM
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/asm-mechanical-company