Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Removing compression tanks - tricks? tools?

Options
rlaggren
rlaggren Member Posts: 160
The tank wants to stay and at the moment it's stronger than me. Good defensive position because there's not enough room beneath the make-up water fixture and the top of the tank to get a wrench on it. I suppose I could give it a bear hug but I would need the 3rd and 4th hand to counter torque - and even than it's not clear who would win.

Just wondering. Thinking some kind of strap wrench?

Rufus
disclaimer - I'm a plumber, not a heating pro.

Comments

• Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    Options
    What kind of wrench are you using? Pipe wrenches and adjustable wrenches have wide jaws compared to open end wrenches.
    If there truly isn't room for a wrench (I have my doubts), then it was twisted on by hands.
    Steve Minnich
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    Are you trying to go around an 18" diameter tank? You can build a strap wrench with any piece of webbing. I use my motorcycle tie downs, or a web tow strap if I need a large "soft" wrench.

A loop on the end, thread through the loop and pull the opposite direction on the web.

If there are other connections on the tank, use them as another wrench. Have two taps out the end of the tank? Thread a 2X4 through those as a wrench.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    Options
    I like to use an old automotive serpentine belt and a pair of wide jaw vice grips. Slip the belt around the tank, and clamp with the vice grips. You will now have a handle to tug on. Have not broken a belt yet, they have Kevlar in them.

Taylor
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
    delta T
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    rlaggren said:

there's not enough room beneath the make-up water fixture and the top of the tank to get a wrench on it.

We use a tappet wrench on the tank flats and a pipe wrench or large adjustable wrench on the other fitting.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    This may work if it is the type with the ends dished in. And you don't mind abusing a pipe wrench :)

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • rlaggren
    Options
    Hey, thanks for the thoughts! That wrench on the rim just makes my plumber's heart go pitty pat! So perfect. So eeevil.

There's the tank. hotrod made me realize I hadn't checked _under_ it for something to grab. Might be something down there. Keep that in reserve.

I tried w/a 6" steel pipe wrench which I use for stuff like this but it won't fit under the filler - might be 1/2" clearance, maybe. Can't see any threads, looks like it was tightened wayyyy in there. Didn't see flats but maybe there. Doubt a crescent would hold enough to do the job, though.

I _like_ the serpentine belt idea!!! But most of the auto trash was cleared out years ago. Looks like webbing and a piece of 2x4 for a handle. Hope I can move it w/out creasing the thing. It probably needs replacing, but kinda nice to leave it intact until I know...

But boy, you know, thinking about that serpentine... Use two vise grips and get balanced torque. Put the B in law on the the filler w/a cheater. I think maybe I'm headed for the local car store.

Rufus
  • rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,457
    Options
    That is a filtrol tank that uses an o-ring for the seal. The tank "should" just spin off by just gripping it. The pressure is off the system when you are trying this . Right?
    A trick I have learned over the years is to try tightening it up first. If it does move, it will break any corrosion, and then will unscrew. I don't know why you can tighten something up when it won't loosen, but it usually does. Weird.
    Rick
  • rlaggren
    Options
    Got it off w/a serpentine belt and two vise grips. Works like magic.

However. Yes, it's a filtrol tank and it does not have a NPT thread - something between 3/8 and 1/2. So I can't plug the connection (easily). I put the tank back on to make a "closed" system and started the descaler run. Hope it doesn't harm the tank because it seemed like it might still be good. But it's old and I need to move along.

The descaler seems to go through the boiler fast and easy. No sprinklers yet. (cross fingers) If things still look good after, I plan to put 30# of air in and see if it'll maintain, and if not, why/where. Then decision time.

Rufus