Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Global Warming-in my refrigerator!

Options
Because I am not lucky enough to have a G E Monitor-Top fridge, I spent some quality time on the floor in front, and behind my 20-year old Amana, with the freezer below. The ice cream was no longer hard, and the freezer temperature was 29 degrees!
After dust bunny removal with a long thin brush, there is not much improvement. The condenser fan works, but the coils are not very warm to the touch, and the fridge seems to be running all the time.
Is there anything else a layman such as myself can check, or am I in the market for a new one?--NBC

Comments

• ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,711
    edited September 2016
    Options
    First thing I've check is the evaporator. This will likely be behind a cheesy sheet metal cover at the back of the freezer.

Is it frosted up?

Most of the time either the defrost heater has failed, or the timer has failed.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    Hatterasguy
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    This is an example of what happens when a defrost heater fails.
    This was our refrigerator in our apartment for a few months before we moved out. I kept manually defrosting it using a hair dryer.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    The coils are on the bottom, and unfortunately too small for the crevice tool on our Electrolux (circa 1960, canister) vacuum cleaner. The exit grill and fan for the condenser air movement were dusty, but not impeding airflow. I think I will unplug it and see if any ice appears to melt out of the evaporator coils.
    My concern is the cost, and availability of spare parts, such as heater, and timer. We had a 20 year old gas stove whose oven control would have cost more than half that of a new stove.--NBC
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    You need to pull the cover and look at the evaporator.

I'm sure there's heaters out there for it.
    Seriously NBC? I get parts for 80 year old ones...............
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    A couple of years back my box was doing the same. I emptied the freezer and figured out how to remove the back wall inside the freezer. The evap coils were pretty well iced up, after getting the ice off and cleaning everything i put it all back together. The 18 year old box has been working fine for almost 3 years now.

If you have an amp probe you can tell if the defost heater is working. My box had a schematic tucked up in the condenser coil so I could figure out what was what.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    Needs defrost or also evaporation fan motor not running. Very small motor that is not noticed, hidden with evaporation coil.
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    You know his wife has him out shopping for a new one right now, right?

:)
    rick in Alaska
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    Before jumping at a new box, I'd tear the old one apart and see whats going on. If the fans are running and the timer motor flag is moving it might just need a good defrost. i know it's been very humid in the NE this year so it might not take a lot to end up with more frost than usual.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    edited September 2016
    Options
    There is a Temp sensor in that freezer compartment as well that may have failed and need to be replaced. It is a disc shaped sensor, about the size of nickel, with a couple wires coming out the back of it. Of course, after 20 years, it's Okay to buy a new fridge, if you'd like. Amana was acquired by Goodman several years ago and sold the appliance business off to Maytag, now owned by Whirlpool. Goodman, now Diakin, retained the Heating and Air Conditioning business.
  • ChrisJ
    Options
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    Tomorrow, I will take the back off the freezer compartment, and see if the coils are frozen, and if the defrost heater is getting power. If they are frozen, then I could go to the local parts house, and see if the parts are available. If not, then a trip to the appliance store, as especially with parts which must be matched up perfectly, I am leery of online ordering.--NBC