Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Clean new system before running?

warno
warno Member Posts: 229
edited September 2016 in THE MAIN WALL
I'm currently setting up a new storage system that will be heated via a plate heat exchanger from my outdoor boiler. I have 750 gallons of storage I'm using and I'd like to know if I need to run any kind of pretreatment through the system before running full swing this winter? The storage tanks are steel the plumbing is a combination of copper and pex. I'm going to at least fill the storage tanks up and drain to get out as much debris from grinding and welding as possible but should I run water through all the plumbing too?

Comments

• warno
    Anybody?
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,786
    The best way is to use a hydronic cleaner/ conditioner. With that much water, it would be expensive.

Back in the day... I used Cascade dishwasher detergent. It would cut grease and oils and not suds up like other soaps. But you need to completely flush it out and check ph.

At least isolate the storage and clean out the boiler and piping. Any place that has solder flux, cutting oil, pipe dope, or just assembly crud.

Then test your water, TDS and Ph are good indicators. Below 150 ppm TDS is what one manufacturer recommends. Hardness 7 grains or less in another measurement if you don't have a TDS meter. A hardness test is basic, calcium and magnesium. TDS is any ions that cause high conductivity in the water, it encompasses more that a hardness test, like chlorides, iron, etc.

I like adding a hydronic conditioner, they have ph buffers, O2 scavengers, film providers and other desirable additives. But with that much water content it will be $$.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    Harvey Ramer
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Rhomar's commercial products are specified at ~250:1 instead of 100:1. They're basically all we use, given that we have to pay for shipping.
  • warno
    Have either of you ever used any products from WoodBoilerSolutions? I purchased their pretreatment and water treatment last year. I guess it worked. Last year was my first year with my open system boiler.

This year my storage system of 750 gallons is closed and my boiler is still open.

This was the pretreatment I used last year

http://www.woodboilersolutions.com/pro/cart/product.cfm?memberid=1926&detailid=1851&startrow=1&maxrows=100&productid=113

And this was the water treatment I used

http://www.woodboilersolutions.com/pro/cart/product.cfm?memberid=1926&detailid=1851&startrow=1&maxrows=100&productid=112

Is that stuff any good?

I'll be giving Rhomars and call today to ask about products and pricing.
  • warno
    I finally gave Rhomars a call today, and it turns out The closes dealer to me (45 minutes away) doesn't carry their products in stock but can order them, and he seemed a bit reluctant about that even.

So I have 2 questions:

1) can you buy Rhomars products online?

2) has anyone used WoodBoilerSolutions products and think they are inadequate?
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,786
    Any idea how many gallons your system holds? The 16 oz kits of cleaner and inhibitor do about 25 gallons

Looks like House Needs.com has kits or larger quantities

Best to run a cleaner after the system is finished and leak free. Flush and add inhibitor

How's your fill water hardness or TDS?

I think Rhomar has the best package, I have seen the extensive testing that they perform to compare different brands of chemicals. You get what you pay for
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,261
    On large volume systems like that, i prefer to use a magnesium anode for cathodic protection and demineralize the fill water. As Hot Rod said, if you can, isolate the tank and run a fernox or rhomar cleaner through the rest of the piping. I don't know your layout but you might be able to do it via 2 drain valves, a five gallon bucket and a transfer pump. The cleaner works with cold water. it just takes longer.
  • warno
    My storage is 750 gallons and, just guessing here, my piping is another 50. So, 800 in the system in cleaning/ treating. I have webstone propals at each end of the loops. When I talked to the guy at Rhomars today he suggested the hydrosolve cleaner and the boiler gaurd. But like I said finding a salesmen might be difficult in my area.