Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam Professional in Southeastern CT?

3DPhamily
3DPhamily Member Posts: 20
edited March 2023 in Strictly Steam
Hi everyone! We just purchased a circa 1920s home with one-pipe steam heat in Preston, CT. I just finished reading We Got Steam Heat and The Lost Art of Steam Heating! Our oil fueled boiler (New Yorker CL4-210SE) is approximately 4 years old and I have replaced all of the vents and balanced the system seems to be running like a champ! We will see once heating comes around. I haven't had much luck finding a steam professional to call when the inevitable problem comes up. The "knucklehead" from the oil company who serviced it just before we purchased the home had the pressure running at almost 10 psi!!!!!! It is now set at 1.5 psi after reading and running MUCH better.

If anyone knows of a steam contractor in the Southeastern CT area I would love their contact information. That way I have some one to call if a problem should arise. Thanks!
US Navy Senior Chief Submariner
Southeastern CT Steam Heat Lover
One Pipe Steam, roughly 0.5 psi
2023 Burnham MST-396

Comments

  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,229
    edited March 2023
    I could do an extensive evaluation and printed report of your system and, while I wouldn't be your servicing contractor, I could help you vet any company local to you if that's of any interest.
    Best,
    John Cataneo
    www.72fmechanical.com
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
    3DPhamily
  • 3DPhamily
    3DPhamily Member Posts: 20
    JohnNY said:

    I could do an extensive evaluation and printed report of your system..

    How could I have that done?
    US Navy Senior Chief Submariner
    Southeastern CT Steam Heat Lover
    One Pipe Steam, roughly 0.5 psi
    2023 Burnham MST-396
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,229
    edited March 2023
    I'm in the field constantly so it's often best to send me an email at John@72Fmechanical.com
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
    3DPhamily
  • 3DPhamily
    3DPhamily Member Posts: 20
    **BUMPING THREAD in a time of need.**

    Well everyone, the inevitable time of need has happened...

    Same roughly 10 year old New Yorker CL4-210SE boiler, by the way.

    Long story short. I noticed that this heating season I have been adding FAR more make up water than previous seasons. I have zero visible water leaks in the basement. I did notice two failed radiator vents, replaced them. This lowered the frequency of adding make up water but not by much. On Monday I had @New England SteamWorks out for a system inspection and service. They found my leak after filling the the entire boiler, most likely above the water line so I have been losing steam up the chimney.

    I believe they are still working up a quote to replace the boiler. Although I'm not sure. The kicker is their distributors won't deliver a boiler to Connecticut at the current time. Hopefully perhaps that will change in the coming months. I am by no means in an urgent rush as the boiler is heating just fine as long as I babysit the sight glass daily.

    All that being said, I am still having trouble finding a much more local Plumbing and Heating Professional that will work steam.

    I am in Southeastern Connecticut, New London County, Preston, CT.

    In the event @New England SteamWorks can't figure out a way to make a replacement happen in Connecticut the coming months I would like to have a contingency plan.

    If anyone happens to be in the general area and can recommend a steam professional that actually services Connecticut I would certainly appreciate it.

    This wall is a priceless wealth of knowledge and experience and I can't thank you all enough! Cheers!
    US Navy Senior Chief Submariner
    Southeastern CT Steam Heat Lover
    One Pipe Steam, roughly 0.5 psi
    2023 Burnham MST-396
    Mad Dog_2
  • Dave_61
    Dave_61 Member Posts: 309
    3DPhamily said:

    **BUMPING THREAD in a time of need.**

    Well everyone, the inevitable time of need has happened...

    Same roughly 10 year old New Yorker CL4-210SE boiler, by the way.

    Long story short. I noticed that this heating season I have been adding FAR more make up water than previous seasons. I have zero visible water leaks in the basement. I did notice two failed radiator vents, replaced them. This lowered the frequency of adding make up water but not by much. On Monday I had @New England SteamWorks out for a system inspection and service. They found my leak after filling the the entire boiler, most likely above the water line so I have been losing steam up the chimney.

    I believe they are still working up a quote to replace the boiler. Although I'm not sure. The kicker is their distributors won't deliver a boiler to Connecticut at the current time. Hopefully perhaps that will change in the coming months. I am by no means in an urgent rush as the boiler is heating just fine as long as I babysit the sight glass daily.

    All that being said, I am still having trouble finding a much more local Plumbing and Heating Professional that will work steam.

    I am in Southeastern Connecticut, New London County, Preston, CT.

    In the event @New England SteamWorks can't figure out a way to make a replacement happen in Connecticut the coming months I would like to have a contingency plan.

    If anyone happens to be in the general area and can recommend a steam professional that actually services Connecticut I would certainly appreciate it.

    This wall is a priceless wealth of knowledge and experience and I can't thank you all enough! Cheers!

    Check with Charles Garrity (Garrity Plumbing and Heating) based in Springfield, MA. I believe he will travel throughout CT. He put our new boiler and added heat to a wing on our house. I got his name from this website. Top notch guy.
    3DPhamily
  • 3DPhamily
    3DPhamily Member Posts: 20
    @Dave_61 will do! I am running down a few different options. I appreciate it!

    US Navy Senior Chief Submariner
    Southeastern CT Steam Heat Lover
    One Pipe Steam, roughly 0.5 psi
    2023 Burnham MST-396
  • MaxMercy
    MaxMercy Member Posts: 508
    3DPhamily said:


    The kicker is their distributors won't deliver a boiler to Connecticut at the current time.

    Is this a thing with all boiler manufacturers or just with the boiler Steamworks uses?? Did they say why CT was targeted specifically?


  • Dave_61
    Dave_61 Member Posts: 309
    3DPhamily said:
    @Dave_61 will do! I am running down a few different options. I appreciate it!
    No problem. Definitely get someone recommended by this forum. As you probably know, there aren’t that many guys that know steam anymore. There are so many horror stories of terrible installations. BTW, where are you in SE CT? I grew up in the Stonington area. 
    3DPhamily
  • 3DPhamily
    3DPhamily Member Posts: 20
    edited March 2023
    @Dave_61 Preston, not far from Stonington at all.  

    US Navy Senior Chief Submariner
    Southeastern CT Steam Heat Lover
    One Pipe Steam, roughly 0.5 psi
    2023 Burnham MST-396