Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Removing Cast Iron Radiator Valves

Mudaero
Mudaero Member Posts: 46
Is there any reason that I would still need the radiator valve if I am using a manifold with balancing valves and return valves? The valves are old and the installation of the new lines will be easier if I can just remove the valves. Is there any con to doing this?

Comments

• Mudaero
    Mudaero Member Posts: 46
    Excellent! My assumption was that it would be fine, but it's always nice to get another opinion. Thanks for the help.
  • Hilly
    Hilly Member Posts: 428
    They're nice for minor adjustments. Beats running to the basement to adjust a manifold for a sort period of time. It also depends on how the heaters are zoned. ie does every heater work off it's own thermostat or does each manifold work off it's own.
    If the system is perfectly balanced and sized and it's a fixed speed circulator and somebody shuts the valve off or chokes it down then your perfect system won't be perfect anymore. If you had a deltaP circ there then the manual will provide individual rooms with personal adjustments.
    It's a pretty darn good chance that in the real world you are going to be fine with or without it. So I personally would do whatever made my job easier to complete.