Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

ganging zone valves?

keyote
keyote Member Posts: 659
Im renovating in stages and converting to radiant top floor is done and rented need to get new boiler on line.have some worries that even the KHN085 with 10-1 modulation may cycle with only one of four floors ready to heat. the rest of house is 110 year old cast iron radiators which i dont want to run through new tubes and equipment. However cellar has an abandoned copper fin tube that I think I could adequately flush and add to new system as a kind of buffer. My idea is to put this fin tube onto the zone valve that the future radiant will eventually be run from and Im wondering how best to assure it always runs when the top floor tenants zone calls for heat. Im using a honeywell wireless tstat and base up there and a taco 6 zone panel with the indirect as priority. Im thinking the way to do this is simply no tstat on cellar and simply put both zone valves wires on the same terminal in the taco panel. Is that the best way thanks

Comments

• keyote
    keyote Member Posts: 659
    I have another similar question.
    I originally wanted to use actuators to zone each room/loop but again the modulation becomes an issue [ yeah i spent a month considering buffers etc and ended up changing from a 5-1 modcon to this 10-1 khn] since im still worried about the varrious rooms and two apts on top floor having differing needs I wonder if i could at least get this information without actually zoning them. as i understand it when you connect the indoor sensors to the wireless tstat you can either have the sensor the tstat or an average but you wont get more than one temperature sent to the redlink, if this is true and i want to get a sense of which apt had the higher load could i set up each apt with a wireless tstat in one room and remote sensor in the other for an average so i now know each apts average, BUT have then both signal the same zone valve because both apts are on the same manifold/riser/zonevalve. in other words if either called for heat the zone valve would open but at least id get a sense of if one was the one usually calling for heat first or more often letting me know if zoning would be helpful or a wasted effort.If i can do this can i also do what i want above as well? thanks