Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

At a Crossroads (Part 2)

t_lee05
t_lee05 Member Posts: 16
The service manager was out and wants to attempt to remove coil and install a HW heater. Follow @Sailah's advice, I've ordered the Kroil oil (and the We Got Steam) which is in transit someplace.
In reading the manual for the boiler, in it indicates that a boil out compound should be added to the boiler when being serviced. To my knowledge, that hasn't ever been done.
My question is, am I just throwing more money away by attempting to fix this over biting the bullet and installing a new boiler right away? From a cost perspective, I can't really afford to go the new boiler route, but I'm afraid that I'll be throwing more money to the wind.
I know there is an inherent risk to everything, I just want to make sure I'm making the best decision I can with all the information.

Comments

• Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    As you are aware, there is always some risk on a project like this, with an older boiler but, if it were me, I'd take that risk. I certainly wouldn't replace an entire boiler because of the HW coil leaking. I assume the service guy assessed the boiler and feels it still has life in it (not leaking elsewhere). As far a "Boil out" chemical, most of us frown on any chemicals, other than a water conditioner like one or two Steamaster tablets, that stays in the boiler, after the boiler is drained, properly flushed out and refilled.
  • t_lee05
    t_lee05 Member Posts: 16
    Thanks for the replies.

Tina