Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Installing a hot water heating system without a plumbed in water supply

Options
Bart32
Bart32 Member Posts: 2
I am planning to install a radiant floor heat system in my shop which does not have a direct water supply. I would like to use a small gas wall mounted boiler and am wondering how to handle the feed water supply. I cannot easily bring a frost proof water line from my house so I am thinking that a water tank of some type could be used to supply water to the system. Since it is a closed system I presume it shouldn't need much water and perhaps all I need to do is top it off occasionally. I can run a temporary hose to fill the system as needed or use a small pump to inject water from a bucket.

It seems to me that if I used a large enough pressure tank it could maintain the necessary pressure even with a loss of several gallons of water.

Comments

• SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    We rarely install automatic water feeders (at least on a permanent basis.) If your system is tight, it should not need water more than perhaps a tiny bit every year or two.

Oversizing the expansion tank will not cost much and it does add a bit of a safety margin.
    Rich_49
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,143
    Options

In a shop, you may consider using glycol also. You could also use a glycol fill tank, like Axiom and others. They get used with water or glycol.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    Rich_49
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    To be fair, Axiom really does make great stuff.

In this particular case, an oversized expansion tank can probably cover it.
  • hot_rod
    Options
    If the potential loss you want to cover is several gallons, consider a PIG.

A separate expansion tank, filled to 80 psi and attached to a pressured reducing fill valve. With a small #30 tank you can get around 3 gallons, or a #60 about double that.

Expansion tank, Webstone purge port valve, boiler fill valve, wash machine hose and adapters
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • Bart32
    Bart32 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Thank you all for your very helpful comments and suggestions. I am not expecting any fluid loss as this is a new floor installation and shouldn't have any leaks. I will be using antifreeze in the system since it won't be heated at all times. I will probably just use an over-sized expansion tank and, if it loses a little pressure, I'll top it off with a hose from the house.
  • hot_rod
    Options
    Yeah, if the system is tight, no worry. Within a few weeks of operation all air should purge itself out. Use a micro bubble type air purger, glycol is tough to scrub micro bubbles from, it gives up air very slowly. Temperature and time to get them 100% air free, you may need to add some fluid for a few weeks as it operates.

The Germans call that over size, over pressurization expansion tank a "safety seal"

Remember the pressure gauge will drop when the system is cold, sometimes this gets mistaken for a leak. We get that call on solar thermal, they fill it on a warm day, next morning the pressure has dropped and they panic.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Tinman