Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Viega Press tool

FB
FB Member Posts: 45
Our hydronic system uses 3/8" Wirsbo hePEX tubing. We'd like to install fourteen Viega ball valves with a Viega Press tool. We wonder if the Viega tool and valves will be compatible with the Wirsbo tubing. Viega says they can only endorse using the tool with Viega tubing. Have you used the Viega tool with Wirsbo tubing?

Comments

• SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    The Wirsbo tubing meets every ASTM spec the Viega does, and more. No need to worry.
    kcoppPaul S_3
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,419
    most all pex is SDR 9... I mix and match sometimes.
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,318
    Wirsbo uses expansion tools doesn't it? Uponor fittings.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • SWEI
    edited July 2016
    Agreed -- if the rest of the system is F1960, I'd stick with those for the rework. I believe Dahl can supply F1960 3/8" ball valves.

As far as the tubing goes, you can use PEX-a (Wirsbo, Uponor, Rehau, Mr.PEX) tubing with other types of fittings. You can not use PEX-b or PEX-c tubing (pretty much every other brand sold in NA) with F1960 (Wirsbo) or F2080 (Everloc) fittings.
    Rich_49
  • Hilly
    Hilly Member Posts: 427
    @swei as true as your statement is there are somethings to consider. You'd likely be in a warranty nightmare should you ever come to the point. The first honestly wouldn't trouble me too much. The second is that some manufactuers advise against certain things. Ie. Rehau has a tech bulletin that says they don't like F1807 connections a their piping in hydronic and domestic recirc systems.
  • SWEI
    We've seen a few bad PEX fittings over the years, but nothing significant since the DZ problem with yellow brass a few years back. The overwhelming majority of PEX fitting problems I've seen since that time were clearly operator error.

The warranty issue (should one arise) will ultimately come down to whether each of the products meets specifications. We use exclusively PEX-a pipe if our name is going to be on the job. If we were doing tract jobs with thousands of fittings it might be worth having a single vendor to point at, but I don't lose sleep over mixing and matching top brands.
  • FB
    FB Member Posts: 45
    Thanks for all the informative replies. The original contractor made his splices in the Wirsbo tubing with compression fittings and copper crimp rings. It's been ten years with no apparent problems.
    Fred