Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Bucket trap question

In our museum, I rebuilt many traps. I'm now suspicious of my first bucket trap. It is circa 1958. A Hoffman 602B. Out of the blue, it is constantly rattling. It sees 24/7/365 day use. Do I just get the rebuild kit and do it? Will I find something other than those worn parts being the problem? I also feel that the pipes coming into condensate tank are unusually hot, but there is no live steam leaving the tank vent.

Comments

• Sailah
    Sailah Member Posts: 826
    Any chance it lost its prime? There should be a hex fitting on the cover you can unscrew and fill it full of water. If it repeats then I'd rebuild it. A rebuild kit is pretty simple, new orifice, lever mechanism with plug and a new gasket. The bucket might have also fallen off its lever which would account for the sudden noise. I've seen them here where the lever literally wears a hole in itself and falls off. Especially with heavy use.

If it's truly running 24/7/365 I'd fix in place. If it's being used in a heating application I'd replace with an inline F&T.

I don't list a cross reference for the hoffman but I do have some parts for Trane 602 that I would be happy to give you if they are the same. I don't think I've sold any in a long time so they aren't doing me any good. All our current buckets are copied off the ubiquitous armstrong 800 series buckets.
    Peter Owens
    SteamIQ