Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Anyone ever use the borit underground boring tool?

adamfre
adamfre Member Posts: 122
I found this the other day http://www.borit.com . Has anyone used one of these before? Opinions?
Just want to stay warm in the winter. :D

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    I think if you need it for exactly what they show in the video it will probably be ok, otherwise for deeper holes, bigger holes, I'd stick with old faithful-tow behind air compressor w/boring tool.
    steve
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Numerous times. It's a wet and muddy operation, but set up right, works like a champ.

I've also used it to drill a 20 foot vertical bore hole that I buried a 2" copper tube in a tube heat exchanger for to keep my solar thermal system cool in the summer. I drilled that in some very tough blue shale.I'd like to have gone deeper, but had trouble washing the cuttings back to the surface. I developed a unistrut rig for the VBH operation and powered it with a hole hawg in low speed. I put a handy come along winch on the rig for down pressure. Took me the better part of a day to get the bit to 20 feet, but this stuff is HARD...

My dad used one of those pneumatic missles once. Blew a hole right in the side of a water main. Good thing it was a demo by the manufacturer eh :wink:

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
    adamfre
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    We have one here as well. While I haven't tried a vertical borehole yet, it paid for itself on the first job (installing a new water main under a driveway.)
    jonny88
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    That's pretty cool! And inexpensive.
    Steve Minnich
  • adamfre
    adamfre Member Posts: 122
    Thanks for all the replies! I may have to buy one.
    Just want to stay warm in the winter. :D
  • rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,457
    I used one similar to that a few years ago to bring a line in to a house. I had to go under a concrete patio and then in to the house ,(under a slab), about 25 feet further, to get to the hookup point. It worked great and saved a lot of concrete busting and homeowner stress.
    This tool looks like a lot better setup than I had though, and looks like a real good deal for the price.
    Rick
    adamfre