Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.

If you've found help here, check back in to let us know how everything worked out.
It's a great way to thank those who helped you.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.

tigerloop confusion

chuck172chuck172 Member Posts: 90
I'm installing a roth tank outdoors. The bottom of the tank will be 6' above the oil burner. Will there be any problem with this overhead piping? Any special precautions?

Comments

• STEVEusaPASTEVEusaPA Member Posts: 4,194
    Are you going single pipe?
    Just the usual-all flare fittings, OSV, power purge for air. Judging from the post title you're putting in a Tiger Loop?
    Isn't this a continuation of your last post?
    steve
  • chuck172chuck172 Member Posts: 90
    This is related to my last post, but addresses a different problem.
    In the following link from the tigerloop installation directions :http://www.spxflow.com/en/assets/pdf/TigerloopUSA.pdf figure nine shows the required trap in the installation.
    Tigerloop also states: "If the tank is located above the ULTRA
    TM
    , an oil safety valve (ie.
    Westwood Products No. S225) is strongly recommended. If the inlet pressure
    will exceed 8 PSI, an oil safety valve
    must be installed"
    With the tank bottom being 6' above burner, how much pressure will the inlet pressure be?
  • captaincocaptainco Member Posts: 451
    A gravity tank is only going to create ounces of pressure not pounds. OSV are for pressures above 3PSI. I see no reason for it. Don't really see a reason for a Tiger Loop on a gravity system. If there is air there is a leak. Leaks need to be fixed or you end up with a sooted up furnace and call backs.
  • captaincocaptainco Member Posts: 451
    Okay the OSV is still needed in case there is a break between the OSV and the pump, but it won't do much good if the leak is between the OSV and the tank which is more likely I would think.