Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Guage as a tool for steam

Options
aircooled81
aircooled81 Member Posts: 205
What is a good brand guage to carry for low pressure steam and vaccum return systems? Basically a guage for 0 to 15psi with a good size dial, a guage for vacuum 0-30"hg with a good size dial, that I can carry around to compare system guages and use for trouble shooting?
Also, any thoughts on good quality guages to apply to the system when replacing?
I have searched on-line, too many to choose from but most are for water. Seems like not much is rated for steam, that makes the pig-tail or snubber a mandatory item.
Does anyone keep a snubber on their pressure guage for checking systems?

Comments

• ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,672
    Options
    I'm using a Dwyer Magnehelic to measure my steam pressure with a 0.015 snubber from Mcmaster Carr and no pigtail. Instead of a pigtail I have an 18" length of 1/2" pipe mounted vertically to form an air trap.

That's obviously not very portable, but chances are any small length will work as well. 12", maybe even 6" but only temporary and you cannot have any leaks.

The Magnehelic comes in many pressure ranges, mine is 0 to 2" WC but you can get them for much higher pressures.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    SWEI
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    Magnehelics are often available eBay at nice prices. No real need for a Capsuhelic at low pressures.