Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Heat and hot water

Options
happydave
happydave Member Posts: 79
We have large up scale condos we service that use a power vented water heater that supplies 140-150 ° water to a manifold that mixes for domestic and hot water to two hydro- coils. The closets in the Center of the buildings are tight, you need to remove the firedoor and jams to get the new ,wider tanks in. On a good day it can take up to 4 or more hour's with the up down elevator, lifting over the pan,etc..

My question is has anyone used a on demand water heater to do this. Splitting the manifolds is not a option for combi. Straight pvc up thru roof. Any thoughts?

Comments

• njtommy
    njtommy Member Posts: 1,105
    Options
    Yes you can use a tankless for this. Rheem even sells a package for this set up.

http://www.rheem.com/products/integrated_systems/
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,435
    edited May 2016
    Options
    You are going to have to revise your set up any ways. The largest standard gas water heater is 50 gallons now and the outside dimensions are prob to big too fit in that space w/ the new water heater standards that came down last year.
    njtommy
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,695
    Options
    I can't picture exactly what you're describing but you may wish to take some time and make extra sure you won't have anyone complaining about the different nuances with the tankless. Whenever I deal with stuff that involves "groups" of people (as opposed to one man, one lady, one couple), I'm extra fearful a rotten apple will find their way to the party.
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
    kcopp
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Options
    How are the domestic and heating isolated from each other?
  • happydave
    Options
    Each condo has a mechanical closet , everything is either copper or cpvc. Domestic goes thru a honeywell AM100 tempering valve.
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,435
    Options
    But no Heat exchanger to separate the domestic from the heating water....
  • GW
    Options
    That was my inability to picture this, it's not normal to send domestic through the ahu. I believe there are domestic rated coils out there yet I don't have any experience with them.
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • happydave
    Options
    No , water heater is used as a boiler
  • GW
    Options
    Ok try and ensure these systems are legit if you haven’t already.
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • happydave
    Options
    Passed state and local inspections when built 10 years ago. We didn't do the building but we have serviced since day one.
  • GW
    Options
    Ok great but in our society last man holds the bag. If a PE designed this stuff when plans were drawn I'd sleep better. Are the coils rated for domestic water, and everything is copper brass stainless? Is there a way for the water to get moved a bit during the off season? Just wondering out loud, I definitely don't want to be a stick in the mud.
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
    happydavePaul48
  • happydave
    Options
    I've always thought about that, legionares disease etc....
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Options
    Does the system appear on engineering documents? There is the potential for someone to get sick as the result of doing that, and if you change something, you'll own it. Just sayin'
  • GW
    Options
    Combine that notion with the fact that it's a multi community, too many moving parts
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • Jack
    Jack Member Posts: 1,047
    Options
    This was a big deal in MA several years ago and the Board was up in arms about it. I believe it was Woburn's inspector who fought the "open loop" heating/AH idea. Net/net the large apartment developers won that battle and the water heater/AH heating systems are in millions of apartments across the country and have been for many years. The systems have the pump timer to circulate regularly and keep the water moving. I was involved in the conversion of at least a few thousand apartments when representing Rinnai in NE. Energy savings were consistently in the 50+% range and the systems have been reliable and show much better life than the tanks serving the same systems. There is good business to be had doing these change-outs.

A few issues may come up. One is the circulator sizing/flow rate issue of the circ in the AH. My experience was that this was a very rare occurrence and a very high percentage worked fine. Gas line sizing is always a consideration with tankless, as you know, but I found that all of the apts the were converted operated fine as piped. Luck? Keep your eyes open. The fact is that in a single to two bedroom apts. you are running at such low inputs that the line sizing wasn't an issue. It is worth a discussion with the utility and building owner. The other fly in the ointment is condensate removal. I prefer to use a small condensing tankless in these applications as, due to the very low flows in cold climates, you can still get a bit of condensate in the vent system with non-condensing units.

Many apt owners would loose 4-5 tanks/per month out of a couple hundred units and try the tankless. Upon monitoring the performance they would generally make it a hard spec. Like these systems or not there are a lot of them out there.
    kcopp
  • 4Johnpipe
    4Johnpipe Member Posts: 482
    Options
    Take a look at the specifications on this. See if it meets your needs. It takes care of legionella using a timed pump excercising built in. Just installed one a month or so ago...
    http://htproducts.com/crossover.html
    LANGAN'S PLUMBING & HEATING LLC
    Considerate People, Considerate Service, Consider It Done!
    732-751-1560
    email: langansph@yahoo.com
    www.langansplumbing.com
  • 4Johnpipe
    4Johnpipe Member Posts: 482
    Options

This is the install. We will be going back after the house is raised.
    LANGAN'S PLUMBING & HEATING LLC
    Considerate People, Considerate Service, Consider It Done!
    732-751-1560
    email: langansph@yahoo.com
    www.langansplumbing.com
    happydave