Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Wrench for Hoffman 17C

Options
aircooled81
aircooled81 Member Posts: 205
What size socket fits the lid on a hoffman 17c trap?

Comments

• Sailah
    Sailah Member Posts: 826
    Options
    1 3/8" socket is a perfect fit with no slop at all. I just checked a new one. 1 7/16" gives you a little more room.
    Peter Owens
    SteamIQ
    aircooled81
  • aircooled81
    aircooled81 Member Posts: 205
    Options
    Thank you, I'll order one up today.
    For feild troubleshooting bad hoffman traps, have you seen a infrared temp gun show-up well?
  • Sailah
    Sailah Member Posts: 826
    Options
    Not for thermostatic traps. The body conducts too well to get any sort of accuracy. F&T traps test well because they always have water in them unless they have blown by so you can ping inlet and outlet temps.

If the steam is off, send the cage units to me and I'll test them for you if you like.

If you have some way to test to atmosphere that's how we do it here. Essentially a trap with the outlet disconnected if possible. You can cycle trap by dumping cold water on it.
    Peter Owens
    SteamIQ
    aircooled81
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    Options

Thank you, I'll order one up today.
    For feild troubleshooting bad hoffman traps, have you seen a infrared temp gun show-up well?

We use a thermal camera all the time to check thermostatic traps. However we aren't really aiming at the trap, we take a reading before the trap, and then aim on the steel pipe downstream of the trap and look for a reasonable temp drop.
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

aircooled81