Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

If you have a fill and purge cart or pump

hot_rod
hot_rod Member Posts: 22,022
we just had a bunch of 3/4" ID hoses, 8 feet long built for the Caleffi carts. It increased the gpm output from 7 gpm to 15 gpm with the 1/2 hp pump cart. Those wash machine hoses commonly used are either 3/8 or 1/2 hose.

Also the heavy brass connectors stand up to joist abuse better.
Pumping into your systems via a full port ball valve will speed things up also. Flowing backwards thru a boiler drain at his flow rate will often pop the washer off the stems in compression style shutoff valves.
Bob "hot rod" Rohr
trainer for Caleffi NA
Living the hydronic dream
kcopp4Johnpipe

Comments

• Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    Could you provide ordering information Bob ? Have a few hoses that need replacing and like to keep spares .
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    The day after the NA25510 arrived, I ordered a set of 3/4" ID hoses from our (relatively) local industrial hose place. Big difference. There's nothing really special about them, but you have to request a true 3/4" hose. Could be Dayton, Parker, or whomever -- but the guys who sell them can fix you up in about 20 minutes.

I don't know precisely where you guys are located, but http://monmouthtruck.com/hose-and-hydraulic/ looks close.
  • hot_rod
    I tried several local hose shops but they did not have GHT fittings They have hose and sewage collars. Their minimum labor rates may be more than all the parts. We bought a pallet box quantity to get best pricing.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • SWEI
    Different experience here. I've bought them in Reno, Tucson, and El Paso with no problem, and at reasonable prices. Probably not as reasonable as a pallet, though ;)
  • cutter
    cutter Member Posts: 292
    Hot Rod, what are you calling a 1/2 hp pump cart. I have seen a pump in a bucket in a caleffi trade journal pumping into a system. Is this pump cart something that is made by the individual or is it something that is bought all in one. I would be interested in a simple pump in a bucket. Would there be a pump that you would recommend?
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    @hot rod

Striving to be the best "hoser" you can be? :wink:
  • Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
    I've been using 5/8 id hoses. Big difference over washing machine hoses. 3/4" would be better still. Actually I do have a long 3/4" that I made up from tubing they use on agricultural sprayers. It's clear with a tough plastic spiral reinforcment. Impossible to kink, withstands all chemicals and I like being able to see what's going on with the fluid inside.
  • 4Johnpipe
    4Johnpipe Member Posts: 480
    We recently borrowed a set of full 3/4" hoses working in a laundromat...made a huge difference.
    LANGAN'S PLUMBING & HEATING LLC
    Considerate People, Considerate Service, Consider It Done!
    732-751-1560
    email: langansph@yahoo.com
    www.langansplumbing.com
  • hot_rod
    The pump in a bucket is just a small submersible sump pump p like the Little Giant garden hose pumps. They are fine for filling small systems quickly, but only about 20 psi. Sump pumps are typically high flow, low head pumps, fine for filling, not as good for power purging and flushing debris.

The advantage to a fill cart is you can blend glycols or cleaners and inhibitors at the jobsite or keep some in the cart on the truck.

On the Caleffi Fill & Purge carts we have been using 1/2 peripheral pumps. These are good for up to 15 gpm and can pump up to 100psi at low flows.

It depends on what systems you work on mostly. GEO installers might use a swimming pool pump, for example to get high flow rates to purge an entire loop field, all loops flowing.

If you need a pro, this company can purge up to 24" diameter piping. They tell me you need to establish at least 5 fps velocity to push solids and debris from systems. Their smallest pump is a 5 hp.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • SWEI
    4Johnpipe said:

We recently borrowed a set of full 3/4" hoses working in a laundromat...made a huge difference.

Commercial washers eat water fast. The 65 pounder we recently installed can pull 35 GPM each on hot and cold during a warm water fill.
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    edited May 2016
    I've been using heavy duty 3/4" hoses for 20 years or so. I'm really lucky to have Porter Pipe and Supply nearby. They're not your typical supply house.
    Steve Minnich
  • NYplumber
    NYplumber Member Posts: 503
    Thats a serious hose @hot rod ! I contemplated getting a few made for purging glycol based systems.
    :NYplumber: