Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Tripping thermostat

Options
abc5
abc5 Member Posts: 3
I have a 50 gallon electric hot water heater that is tripping the reset. I have changed both the upper and lower thermostat and both heating elements. What's the deal??

Comments

• SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    How hard is your water?
  • abc5
    Options
    I have now idea. I have never done any test for hardness. The heater is only 4 1/2 yrs old.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    It's possible the bottom of the heater has filled up with minerals to the point where the lower element is covered by them. This will cause the element to overheat and trip.

If this is the case, the drain valve must usually be removed in order to clear the build-up. Replace it with a full port ball valve and blow down the heater every year or so and you will greatly extend the life of the heater.
  • abc5
    Options
    Can I disconnect the wiring to the lower heating element and run on just the top element to prove whether or not sediment may be the culprit?
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,072
    Options
    It must have been drained to change elements. Removing the lower element would have shown you what is in the bottom as draining the tank would have.

Could your cold water dip tube have failed and hot water is stacking/laying inside the tank and causing over heating on the upper high limit.