Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.

If you've found help here, check back in to let us know how everything worked out.
It's a great way to thank those who helped you.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.

Blast tube deterioration and CO

I thought that, normally, carbon monoxide is generated by lack of combustion air or flaky fire-side heat exchange surfaces. After correcting both in a Weil McLain model 578 low pressure steam boiler, CO remained over 2,000 PPM. So I pulled the burner to find that part of the end of the blast tube had been burned away. What would have caused this? Could the condition of the end of the blast tube cause high CO?

Comments

  • Steve MinnichSteve Minnich Member Posts: 2,358
    Was the boiler over-firing? Gas pressure?
    Steve Minnich
    Tell me I can't, and I'll show you I can.
  • Mark EathertonMark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,844
    Hot flame impingement on cold (relatively so) metal surfaces will also generate significant amounts of CO. Along with excess fuel, inadequate air, condensate fouling a burner and much much more.

    ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • tim smithtim smith Member Posts: 2,275
    Yes, the end of the blast tube being burned off could cause flame impingement and CO. The blast tube may have been too far in the combustion chamber. Usually should be flush to a little recessed from the combustion chamber. Combustion being off originally could cause the blast to overheat and corrode away. Just few notes, good luck.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Welcome

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!