Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Propress versus soldered joints in near boiler copper piping

Options
Knots
Knots Member Posts: 11
Installing copper near boiler 1 1/2 inch piping on Burnham hot water boiler using baseboard and conventional radiators. I am interested in whether or not to use Propress fittings as opposed to solder. Getting conflicting advise from local "experts". I assume that Propress is faster for the installer but I am worried about the long haul. How long do the "O" rings last in a hot water heating system? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Comments

• MikeSpeed6030
    MikeSpeed6030 Member Posts: 69
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Viega supposedly warrants propress fittings for 50 years. You can Google "propress problems," and make you own decision. They are not cheap. It seems that problems are often blamed on installation issues, such as alignment.

Soldered joints and threaded steel connections are proven. Propress fittings might be preferable to connections soldered by somebody who is inexperienced and can't solder well.
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • VP
    VP Member Posts: 12
    Options
    We install all our near boiler piping in propress. Have been for about 4 years now. Yes, it is expensive for the fittings but it does save time. If cost is the only concern, I would weigh out the importance of getting the job done quickly. Slow with work? Have plenty of time to install? Go ahead and solder or use threaded per your preference. Real busy? Squeezing this job in but have to get out of there quickly and move on to the next? Then PP.

One place that PP is worth its weight in gold, are the prevailing wage rate jobs. In this area, boiler installers make $74/hr by the time you add in benefits. (My guys love these jobs!) Imagine if they had to sweat 3'' boiler piping, and you had a couple of installers on the job.
  • Boon
    Boon Member Posts: 260
    Options
    I'm strongly leaning toward using press fittings for both my boiler piping, pex connections, and some potable lines:

1. It is inevitable that I will need to solder a joint with water behind it and press can overcome this.
    2. I probably won't burn the house down if I solder, but I definitely won't burn it down if I press. Much of my work is too close to studs, joists, and electrical work; however, there is clearance to press.
    3. I'm excited to try something new.
    4. The boiler piping will look totally cool.

This is not a professional's opinion. I'm a DIY'er.
    DIY'er ... ripped out a perfectly good forced-air furnace and replaced it with hot water & radiators.
  • Tom_133
    Tom_133 Member Posts: 884
    Options
    Boon,

Just be careful that your boiler piping it correct. If you squeeze all those fittings incorrectly that is going to crush your bottom line to the point that it may have been cheaper to have a pro solder it one time. Just a heads up, hope it works out well for you.
    Tom
    Montpelier Vt
  • Bob Gagnon plumbing and heating
    Options
    I believe that soldered joints are the only way to go, I wonder what happens to PP when the o rings dy out and crack...
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
    GordySolid_Fuel_Man
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Options

I believe that soldered joints are the only way to go, I wonder what happens to PP when the o rings dy out and crack...

I,wonder about rotational, and tensil forces. You know the kind that gets put on piping when used as a clothes line, hang stuff off of pipes etc. sure it's misuse however........

Another thought is down the line will an entirely different connection system rear its head . Leading to press fittings phasing out.