Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

B&G Ecocirc Vario Stuck On One Speed

Options
VelvetFoot
VelvetFoot Member Posts: 48
One of my B&G Ecocirc Vario zone pumps is stuck one speed: it can't be adjusted.

Has anyone out there experienced a similar problem? Is it possible to get technical assistance from B&G?

Thanks.

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    Does it have one of those small, clear plastic knobs on the speed selector? Carefully lift it out, to may have broken off at the tiny stem. I think an O-ring holds it into the case, a knife or small pick will lift it out.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • VelvetFoot
    Options
    Hi Bob.

Yes it does have a clear plastic knob (with a green light) on the speed selector.

This would be bad, no, making the speed control not adjustable?
    It's not like I mistreated it and it's only been lightly used for two seasons.

It also seems that I'd have to probably buy a new pump before I start any operation. Plus, where would you possibly buy a part like that?

Is there someone I can call at B&G? Their website has no direct link, only to local reps.

Thanks for any help.
  • VelvetFoot
    Options
    It does feel more loosey-goosey than the other THREE I have.

This would be a very bad, and expensive, thing if the inevitable breaking of a tiny plastic part would render all my pumps more or less, useless.
  • hot_rod
    Options
    I had to use a magnifying glass to even determine how it goes into the pump, a small cross X tab, near the o-ring engages into the switch.

I lost the first one when I dropped it on the shop floor, I had B&G send me another. If that small protrusion would break off in the switch, I think you are screwed, probably a complete switch replacement would be required.

It doesn't feel like a switch that you would want to "handle" often.

I think this is actually a Laing pump that B&G partners with. Regardless it is a very delicate switch knob on a nice robust circ pump.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    Laing was bought by Xylem a few years back. They sell the same pumps under the B&G and Laing labels, with annoyingly different model names:

Laing Ecocirc E1 = B&G ecocirc e3-4
    Laing Ecocirc E3 = B&G ecocirc e3-6

I have seen a failure of the driver/electronics from water ingress through the knob opening on a Vario.
  • VelvetFoot
    edited April 2016
    Options
    The knob is indeed broken. What a weak looking piece of plastic! Luckily the piece in the switch dropped out (see picture). A 1/16" hex wrench can turn it, but hey, this is pathetic. Bob, I'll drop you a line and maybe you can tell me how I can stock up on a bunch of these plastic knobs. Let's see, 4 pumps, 1 knob every 2 years,......

I might try super glue, but this is truly lame.

• VelvetFoot
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Here's my fabulous workaround:

Edit: Note prominent logo placement, lol.
  • hot_rod
    Options
    Are you fiddling with the knob a bit?
    I suspect if you set it and forget it it will last.
    The allen works great, but doesn't light up green like the clear plastic one ;)

Without the knob the only way to know what speed you are on is by listening to the rpm difference.

I don't know if there is a part number for that knob, I have a connection at B&G in Morton Grove and they sent me a spare.

I'd guess others have had knob fatigue?

Don't get zapped working on that thing!
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • VelvetFoot
    Options
    I wouldn't say I'm fiddling with it a bunch, no. I had some air in the lines and sped it up to remove.
    The valve is on my coffee table, so, no getting zapped.
    The wrench handle should point the way, albeit, with no light. I'd have to plug up the hole as well.
    Nice to have connections.

Let me say one more time, how lame is this design?
  • hot_rod
    Options
    I agree, why would an engineer, a German one at that :), design the ONLY customer interface with such a cheesy knob?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • VelvetFoot
    Options
    Superglue failed. Absent obtaining a replacement knob, I'm thinking about cutting off the stub, drilling a hole in the knob, and gluing a cut off Allen key in it. That way there'd be light, indication and sealing.
  • hot_rod
    Options
    If you are on a mission to git er done... Sounds like you may need more knobs, or build a few customer ones.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    I've been pestering them to offer a version that has 0-10V control input. The larger one is just about perfect for 55-60k firetube mod/cons.