Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Commercial DHW

Options
Dan Foley
Dan Foley Member Posts: 1,258
This is one that Brian G., Poppy and crew have been working on for the last three weeks. We are replacing the DHW system in a 47 unit apartment building in DC. The current system uses a direct-fired tank connected to a 500 gal storage tank. The storage tank is leaking and they have been replacing the direct-fired tank at a rate of every two years.

The engineer designed a system around seven tankless heaters on a manifold. Due the hardness of our water, I did not like this design and proposed an alternate. My design of two Viessmann Vitodens connected to four 120 gal. stainless steel storage tanks was accepted by the board.

- DF

Comments

• Dan Foley
    Options
    Brian and Poppy piping the tanks and wiring the controls.

- DF
    jonny88
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    Beautiful work, Dan (as usual.) I'm curious about the green-bodied valves above the Stratos pumps (below the butterfly valves) -- are those flowsetters of some sort?

Have you guys used the ETV on previous jobs? I like the concept, especially for hard water areas.
  • Dan Foley
    Options
    Thanks, Kurt.

The green valves above the pumps are Taco triple-duty valves (flow check, balance, isolation).

https://www.taco-hvac.com/products/water_circulation_pumps__circulators/pump_accessories/plus_two_multi-purpose_valve_straight_patternangle_pattern/index.html

This is the first time we have used the ETV. The existing Leonard mixing valve station scales up and is re-built just about every six months due to hard water and scale.

Brian piped the new stainless steel mixing valve body with union connections and a spare valve body is included in the contract. If/when it scales up, it can be replaced in less than an hour.

- DF
    SWEI
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    Dan Foley said:

This is the first time we have used the ETV. The existing Leonard mixing valve station scales up and is re-built just about every six months due to hard water and scale.

Similar experience here with a couple of large Symmons mixing valves. We recently replaced one of those with a homegrown ETV setup. Film at eleven.
  • bob eck
    bob eck Member Posts: 930
    Options
    Very nice work very professional.
    I see you used Viega Propress copper fittings.
    Have you ever used the Viega Megapress fittings for steel pipe for the gas lines?
    Anyone else using the Viega Megapress fitting for gas lines and water lines? How do you like using the Megapress fittings.
  • Dan Foley
    Options
    Thanks, Bob.

We have used mega press to re-pipe wet returns on steam systems. I have not used it for gas pipe as we rarely run gas.

- DF