Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

hePEX Primary Piping

Options
johntrhodes81
johntrhodes81 Member Posts: 42
Is piping the primary connections to manifolds, expansion tank, etc out of hePEX a bad idea? As long as there is 18" of copper or metal tube from the boiler?

Thanks,
John

Comments

• SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    Not a problem as long as everything is sized and supported properly. Getting tee branches and short runs of PEX to stay level and plumb can be a bit of a challenge.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    what temperatures would you be running?

I'm wondering about long term effects of non or less that 100% oxygen barrier tube in high temperature hydronics. Are any of the fusion well PP pipes O2 barriered?

I don't recall many sludge and corrossion issues with boilers, pumps and components until we introduced plastics into the installations?

Guess we will know in 5-10 years like the PB and early rubber tube installations. Are we tempting fate?

I think copper and steel are still the best near boiler piping products. Maybe I'm just getting old :blush: )
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    Options
    Copper and steel for me too.
    Steve Minnich
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    Options
    the higher the temperature the more oxygen can pass into the pex, as HR said less than 100% is something, I think it depends on the amount of Ferris metals that can take the "hit" to rid the system of oxygen. Take a mod-con with a stainless HX and a bunch or radiant pex, with an iron circulator and a steel expansion tank there is little else to oxidize and I think we will be seeing those systems eat through the thin expansion tanks in the next ten years. A far cry from CI radiators and boilers piped with 100% closed copper pipe.

SFM
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
  • SWEI
    Options
    I heard manifolds and assumed PEX downstream. If there's a CI boiler and a mixing valve, hard pipe to the mixing valve.
  • johntrhodes81
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Mod-con boiler -> Manifolds -> Pex-AL-Pex -> CI Radiators.

SWT between 120 (60 outdoor) and 180 (0 outdoor).

John
  • SWEI
    Options
    Temps seem high to me, most especially at the low end. How were they determined?
  • NY_Rob
    NY_Rob Member Posts: 1,370
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I just had to make the same decision- pex or metal for near boiler piping on my new mod/con system.
    Decided to go with copper/black pipe up to the manifold after the CH pump- then OB PEX A to the zone valves and out to my existing 3/4" copper baseboard lines.
    For the return I'm using OB PEX A from existing 3/4" copper baseboard right up to the return manifold and copper from the manifold to the boiler.
    For the indirect DHW heater- all copper to/from the DHW circulator/boiler, but non-OB PEX B for the DHW to house domestic water lines.

It's tempting to use PEX for closer to boiler connections- especially when a two dollar PEX connector replaces a twenty dollar brass union. But, I like the idea of being able to stabilize the circulators, Spirovent, expansion tank, etc... to kindorf and know it's not moving vs. less stable mounting going mostly PEX.
  • jonny88
    jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
    Options
    Steel on mod con definitely use Dirtmag .You would be surprised what they pick up actually rather them on all miscons.
    SWEI
  • SWEI
    edited March 2016
    Options
    ...and be sure to flush/purge thoroughly before the new boiler and circ are installed. We use a 20µ cartridge filter on the return line to the purge cart and you wouldn't believe the crud that comes out.
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    Options
    I have done it a time or two... Although I will prob not do it again now that I have a propress tool. I did this install just before Christmas a few years bac and was pressed for time as there was no heat or hot water in the home.
    No issues what so ever... The system was cleaned and treated w/ Fernox
  • Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    edited March 2016
    Options
    House is a mix of Cast iron rads and CIBB .; Heat loss performed , room by room . House has some issues and the temps stated to be required were determined by me based on the parameters given me by John . Made some recommendations , they were listened to but not agreed to for various reasons . For the system to work and John and his family to be comfortable the curve is as stated above . Does that answer how the temps were arrived at ? Good lookin out though Kurt . Temps will be able to come down when further work is completed on the envelope .

John , could you please clarify where it is that you want to use HePex ?

You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
  • NY_Rob
    NY_Rob Member Posts: 1,370
    Options
    kcopp said:

I have done it a time or two... Although I will prob not do it again now that I have a propress tool. I did this install just before Christmas a few years bac and was pressed for time as there was no heat or hot water in the home.

No issues what so ever... The system was cleaned and treated w/ Fernox

I'm taking notes on the circulator to hot water tank mounting in your 2nd photo... is that kosher?
    That would save me some work on my install...
  • johntrhodes81
    Options
    I was thinking about using HePEX between the manifolds and the boiler, but decided to scratch that and stick with copper. Rich has been very helpful, I really appreciate it. Yes the envelope needs work. Uninsulated Concrete block exterior walls loose a lot of BTU's fortunately the house has alot of radiator capacity.

John