Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Ductless Mini Split and Chiltrix Question

Options
jb9
jb9 Member Posts: 104
Hello,

I am going to try and use electricity to drive a radiant system (via WB). I just visited a friend's house who was considering installing WB in a tight envelope but decided to do 3 mini splits instead (cost). I took a look at the Mitsubishi units on the exterior and wondered, are these heat pumps essentially the same unit as a Chiltrix? Sorry for the dumb question, but I am just trying to understand who the players are in the heat pump game so I can continue my research to select an appropriately sized unit. Additionally, can a heat pump be placed in series with a resistance heater to heat water for a hydronic system in extreme temperatures? (-10 and below)

Feel free to spell out things roughly for me... I am under the impression that the ductless mini split system uses refrigerant as the medium between the pump and the blower, while the Chiltrix uses water?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    The Chiltrix is a monoblock design (evaporator and condenser in one box) based on a Mitsubishi compressor.

You can put an electric resistance boiler in series with it. There's almost no pressure drop there.

Ductless mini-splits use refrigerant lines between their indoor and outdoor units. The Chiltrix air handlers use water.