Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

The importance of product binders

Options
HeatingHelp
HeatingHelp Administrator Posts: 638
edited March 2016 in THE MAIN WALL

imageThe importance of product binders

The importance of product binders

Read the full story here

SWEInicholas bonham-carter

Comments

• Unhippy
    Unhippy Member Posts: 17
    Options
    You hit the nail on this Dan.....times are changing....just not always for the better.

Little side note.....alot of places are changing or have already changed to "online only" catalogues......which works fine until you end up working somewhere with no or crap cell signal and an internet speed that makes a snail look pretty nippy....like... oh maybe anywhere rural?

• DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,529
    Options
    I miss the chat that happened with the face-to-face briefings. We lost a lot when that went away.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    Options
    I agree Dan. I like to physically turn the pages when I read and, maybe unfortunately, most of what I read is technical literature. It's really hard to get your hands on product binders but I usually just bug the crap out of them until they finally relent and give me one, just to shut me up I'm sure.
    Steve Minnich
  • furnacefigher15
    furnacefigher15 Member Posts: 514
    Options
    As a guy in the field, its hard to find space for all the binders. The internet, and mobile devices are a great way to limit how much space I need.
    The problem with alot of the online stuff is that it has all the current stuff, but is often limited on the older stuff that I run into all the time, which is why I still keep the books, just not on the truck anymore.
  • MarkS
    MarkS Member Posts: 75
    Options
    Back in the day, the reference manual binders for an industrial control system could easily fill two shelves. After using them for a while, you could walk up to that shelf, pull off the binder you needed, and almost intuitively open it to within a few pages of the information you were looking for. There's a sense of location that's missing with online documentation. That's what I miss most.
    1890 near-vapor one pipe steam system | Operating pressure: 0.25 oz | 607 sf EDR
    Midco LNB-250 Modulating Gas Burner | EcoSteam ES-50 modulating controls | 70 to 300 MBH |
    3009 sf | 3 floors | 14 radiators | Utica SFE boiler | 4 mains, 135 ft | Gorton & B&J Big Mouth vents
    Jean-David Beyer
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,322
    Options
    I still thumb through my walworth catalog from 1919.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • Craig Maurer
    Craig Maurer Member Posts: 3
    Options
    As a former Rep, I used to stop to see Wholesalers and Contractors and Engineers that I hadn't seen in a while if for no other reason than to update their catalog. It was a great way to get in the door and the spontaneous connections led to a lot of business. As a current Wholesaler, I still have the time to see a conscientious Rep who wants to keep my library current.
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,529
    Options
    You are a wise man, Craig.
    Retired and loving it.
    Craig Maurer
  • vvzz
    vvzz Member Posts: 39
    Options
    Websites really lack in ability to look for info sequentially. There's also too much information.

On a related note on paper free society. In my field(software engineering) we often make a deliberate choice to use paper index cards and whiteboards to manage product progress. Even though there are software tools available for that. It's ironic, but for a lot of stuff paper can't be beat.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,708
    Options
    I prefer all of my stuff in PDF format honestly.

I know exactly where it is and it never gets old or dusty. It does the same exact job and I can thumb through the pages by clicking my mouse.

It also takes up zero physical room.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    PDFs get a lot more useful once you ditch the Adobe bloatware that 95% of people use to read them.

I really miss my Mac. The OS X Preview app is orders of magnitude better than Acrobat, and does a fair bit of authoring to boot. There's another Mac app called Skim that a lot of researchers use.

On Windows, I like the Sumatra PDF reader. Low footprint, fast, and easy.

Though I still like having the older paper catalogs on the shelf...
    ChrisJ
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,541
    Options
    Still hanging on to them, and this is just a fraction!
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
    Tinman
  • ChrisJ
    Options

Still hanging on to them, and this is just a fraction!

True,
    But with all due respect, weren't you also around when they parted the sea? :)

I'm sure I'll pay for that one...........several times. :s
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    Robert O'Brien
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    SWEI said:

PDFs get a lot more useful once you ditch the Adobe bloatware that 95% of people use to read them.

I really miss my Mac. The OS X Preview app is orders of magnitude better than Acrobat, and does a fair bit of authoring to boot. There's another Mac app called Skim that a lot of researchers use.

On Windows, I like the Sumatra PDF reader. Low footprint, fast, and easy.

Though I still like having the older paper catalogs on the shelf...

I've never liked Mac OSX, always been a PC guy my self but I agree with not using Acrobat.

I forget what I'm running on my machines but it's a third party app.
  • hvacfreak2
    hvacfreak2 Member Posts: 500
    Options
    Paper reference gives you a chance to see things that you might not be thinking about or even know exist. Electronics and piping products , maybe a small ball check valve or a DIN mounted switch to make a project more streamlined that you see while looking for your specific product. But on the other hand you can't beat a smartphone when you are staring at a 6 ft controls cabinet on a roof top unit wondering which contactor is C5A.
    hvacfreak

Mechanical Enthusiast

Burnham MST 396 , 60 oz gauge , Tigerloop , Firomatic Check Valve , Mcdonnell Miller 67 lwco , Danfoss RA2k TRV's

Easyio FG20 Controller

• Aaron_in_Maine
    Aaron_in_Maine Member Posts: 315
    Options
    I like to sit and look through literature every now and then. But getting rid of the milk crate in the truck and having the manuals on my iPad is cool too.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

TinmanRobert O'Brien
  • Tinman
    Options
    As they started to become more and more scarce, I started making my own.
    Steve Minnich
    Robert O'Brien
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Options
    That is real dedication on your part!--NBC
    Tinman
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    Just so my wife doesn't see your picture.....too damn neat and organized! ;)

So whoever dies with the most binders on the shelf wins!! :)
  • Tinman
    Options
    It's a sickness.

I've got a lot more but those are the ones I put together.
    Steve Minnich
    JUGHNE
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    I think I have all of mine in one room, I can usually find what I am looking for....no one else could. My wife considers me a hoarder.

One of the most helpful books was the Fundamentals of Pneumatic Controls by Robertshaw dated from 1976. This was very useful before the internet was available. Had one system to take care of and would have been really lost without it.

About 20+ years ago a heating/HVAC salesman advised me to keep all my old catalogs from HW, WR etc because the old stuff info would not be available on line and eventually even the new info would not be in print. He is still at his desk at 80+ years.